Retrospads

Burnishing Chromexcel Edge

Hello Everyone, I know this has been asked before but I could only find burnishing veg tan edges here in the search bar. I am using chromexcel and tried using Fiebing's Acrylic Dye, but hated it. So now I'm back to square one, and instead sanded the edges down -> applied water -> heated the edge with a jerry rigged tool I made up (gets up to about 350-450 Farenheit) -> apply beeswax -> heat again -> beeswax -> heat second time. 

My question is, will the beeswax eventually fail, and will the burnish come apart in a few years, or does this technique actually last a very long time? I'm making nato watch straps and obviously can't test each method for 10 years, I want your input and years of experience if you would be so kind! 

Thank you for your time and thoughts. 

PS. The chromexcel is roughly 2-3 oz.

EDIT: Gum Trag, thoughts, process of putting on tanned leather such as chromexcel?

Edited by Retrospads

Heating the edge to 350++ F 2-3 times? 
Seems to me you're cooking the leather making it brittle and even the beeswax won't stop it from basically falling apart after some use. 
For me, if I can't burnish just by water and elbow grease I use Giardini or Fenice. 

I have had good results with tokonole from Rocky mountain leather supply.

Granted I haven't tested it for 10 years, but does seem to work.

I'm not 100% certain because I don't use chrome tanned leather, but it's my impression that you can't really burnish chrome tan. You may look into edge paint? Again, another product I'm unfamiliar with. But, may be a topic to look into

6 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I'm not 100% certain because I don't use chrome tanned leather, but it's my impression that you can't really burnish chrome tan. You may look into edge paint? Again, another product I'm unfamiliar with. But, may be a topic to look into

Stet, it's a mixed bag of results with chrome tanned leather.

You can burnish a firmer thicker chrome tan like cxl. The thin garment leathers don't seem to burnish at all.

Also, it won't ever be as pretty as a veg tan edge.

That being said the tokonole has given me decent results on cxl horse strips.

I also had good luck with w & c 5oz chap leather, before I found tokonole. It did take a lot of extra love to get it decent, though.

Ymmv.

After looking a bit, chromexcel is veg retanned. Which could be why it burnishes a bit. Just a thought. Im still doing research but I  coulda swore I saw somewhere  that chrome tanned  leathers won't burnish but can't find that article lol. (That is straight chrome tanned, not retanned like chromexcel)

Like I mentioned, I haven't had any experience with any chrome tanned or chromexcel leather so, there are better authorities than I haha. 

If I ever do try it, I'll have to try the tokonole

I really appreciate the thoughts! I purchased some Fiebings gum trag. I have gotten a great edge with a mixture of heat and burnishing. That said I have to be very careful when burnishing since it is so thing. 

Tokonole is the hobbyists go-to burnisher in Japan. When not using a edge paint, I'm using it every project. Good luck OP.

my best results have been with beeswax and a felt wheel then coated with an edge finish and lightly re burnished on the felt wheel and painted

after edging ,,, still working through, looks nice but not as durable as veg or bridle, leathers,,,????? db