WoodysWorkshop

Sno-Seal by Sorel, an Atsko Co.

I've been putting my boots in the oven and treating them with Sno-Seal for decades.

After my last attempt with Neetsfoot Oil, I'm thinking I'm going to try Sno-Seal on the inside and backside of latest knife sheaths before I stitch, lace and rivet them.

Sno-Seal is an all natural product of Bees, specifically 100% processed Bees Wax with no additives or chemicals. It contains no grease or artificial chemicals like other water sealing products.

Bear grease and artificial products can cause bacteria growth, and speed up the process of aging and drying out the leather if not regularly treated.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried Bees Wax, specifically Sno-Seal on anything?

I did a search of Sno-Seal, and nothing specifically turned up for it.

I will continue on with my results under this thread when I get finished for future reference.

I read a lot of people here use sno seal. But I still would never put anything on the back side of the leather. You never put in your boots did You? Hard on the socks.lol 

No, never on the inside. But the one's that I used the Sno-Seal on had at least 600 Grams of Thinsulate and either Gortex or Ultra Dry by Red Wing/Irish Setter Boots.

I did try it on the back of the sheath. Left it a little waxy, but I'm sure that will ware off over time.

I'm not fully satisfied with the results on the first sheath. For the next one I have some old Franklyn Baseball Glove oil.

Back in those days (over 4 decades) contents were not manditory on the container, so I have no idea of the make up of the product.

But I just sat down to look on the net and see what I can find out about it as it does have a part number on it.

And I need to look up a "Lacing How To" as I just glued the front to the back of the first sheath.

I haven't done any lacing since middle school (over 4 decades too).

And this is 4 layers thick of 5-6oz so I need a fancy type lace to cover the width.

Mexican round braid. There are a few vids on YouTube and a few books out there with all the different types of braiding. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did find out through looking through pictures of the Franklin oil that the new bottles say it contains Neatsfoot Oil. But doesn't say what percentage or mention any other product. I'll assume it's standard Neatsfoot Oil. If memory serves me right, that is what was suggested decades ago to use on new gloves to loosen them up. But I did put a question in to Franklin Products to make sure that the stuff I have is the same formula as the new stuff.

Sorry I haven't update, but due to financial stress, we were without internet for a month.

Below is pictures of the sheath I did with Sno-Seal. I did the fancy lace as suggested.

Took me a few tries to get it started correctly, but once I got it figured out, it went well.

Other than cutting the lace short by 50% on the first side, it turned out well.

It did me good to practice on ending and starting.

When I showed to my young X-Marine neighbor. Took him about 10 seconds to pull out his wallet and ask, "How Much"?

So it's gone, but I did manage to take the pics first. I paid a $1 for the knife at a yard sale few years back.

Did a good sharpening job on it, and sold the finished product for $15. I was going to ask $25, but I always give a discount to those who have served.

IM000301 (2).JPG

IM000302 (2).JPG

IM000304 (2).JPG

That came out really nice.  and for $25, a significant discount from what you could have asked.  Make a few more, and sell for double that, and your days of no funding for internet access can be over!  I've never attempted braid work, but yours looks very consistent to me.

YinTx

I've not seen braiding for a stitch before. I love it. I watch a lot of a leatherworker on youtube. leodis leather. He uses sno-seal on the exterior of his knife cases.

PS. Since you are waterproofing may I suggest for your braiding cord, use catfish cord. I'm not sure if that's the proper name. You can buy it at Walmart in the fishing department. It's thick cord that's waxed, very strong.

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

Just wanted to chime in an say that I love sno-seal. I've used it for treating boots as well as a dog collar and rein leathers. I especially liked it on the collar as it's dunked in the pond on an almost daily basis. The sno seal keeps it from staying soaked and getting nasty (although after about 6 months, the dark brown collar is completely black from being  re-treated and the oils from the dog's fur.) The hardware connection points (rings-- it's a half-check collar) are still super tight with no play at all, despite my then less than stellar attaching skills and the full force of a doberman against it now and then. That pretty much looks like the day I put it together. So apparently the sno seal, a huge amount of water exposure, and general abuse hasn't weakened the leather. Very cool.

I do think it's just beeswax blended with neatsfoot. Some people make their own neatsfood/beeswax blend from scratch, so when my jar runs out I think I'll experiment with it myself.