SheltathaLore

Do narrow edge guide feet for the Consew 227 (et al) exist?

I am super psyched about the Consew 227 that will be arriving Real Soon Now from Gregg at Keystone (Gregg is amazing.  Sadly, the freight company is not.), and I'm planning out some projects already :D  (I am going to make so many shoes.  Just imagine, dress shoes that don't make me want to cut my feet off!)

One of the things I have in mind is a pair of shoes that involves some straps; I assume I'd want to stitch close to the edge all the way around, and an edge guide foot/topstitch foot/compensating foot of perhaps 1/16" would be ideal.  I've been searching around a bit and only saw 1/8" and up.  I checked Kwok Hing, and they do have 1/16" feet, but it's not clear if they're compatible with my machine (I emailed them, and they're not entirely sure either).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I can call the van line tomorrow and see what's going on, for sure.  Darn.  

Common are 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4".

What part # are you asking about specifically from Kwok Hing?

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Nah, I've been on the phone with them a lot - if you want to bother them too, you're welcome to, but I don't know how much it will help. (Although perhaps it will, since you're the one who's paying them...) Not your fault in any way, though.  It sounds like there was a lot of miscommunication between various customer service representatives and the Seattle terminal.  Le sigh.

Here are the walking foot catalog pages they sent me:

http://www.kwokhing.com/2003foot/26e.html

http://www.kwokhing.com/2003foot/30e.html

It doesn't look like any of the feet you pictured are the type you need, and as far as I know, the 227 uses the ultra-common SInger 111W style inner and outer foot. The ones you pictured are (1) the normal single-needle high shank feet mostly used by garment class machines, and the others(2) all appear to be the walking foot style which Pfaff uses to fit their own proprietary take on walking foot machines....they are superficially similar but will not interchange with the Singer machines. The width of the inner foot and the feed dog its self make the "spring loaded edge guide foot" a bit tricky to make for any distance less than 1/8". You may find a narrow inner foot combined with a right or left toe zipper foot used in conjunction with a fixed edge guide to be the route to explore, if I understand how you are going to sew the edges.  Your dealer should easily be able to set you up with a couple of edge guide options and get you a set of zipper feet....I suggest getting  both a right and left outer foot while you are at it.

-DC

The edge guide feet aren't strictly necessary; I thought they might just be a nice thing to have - I can get by without them, if narrow edge guide feet aren't a thing. 

Thanks for the tips!

I grind the standard feet down to the width I want and then polish them back to shiney. This lets me get closer to hardware that I'm always sewing around.