flagshipsupply

How to cut Double Bend for Belts?

Hi all - I added custom heavy duty work belts to my product list a year ago. So far I have been cutting my own blanks using 12-15oz Wickett & Craig Harness sides, cut lengthwise obviously. This heavy harness leather has worked out very well for thick sturdy work belts.

Recently though, I thought I'd try out Wicket't's 10-12oz English bridal double bend for casual belts. This cut is marketed toward belt makers as increasing yield and eliminating un-usable square footage. 

Ok, my question for all the wise leather guru's out there is: In your experience, when using double bends, does it matter whether the straps are cut across the width of the hide, ie: perpendicular across the "backbone" ? Or lengthwise parallel to the backbone? At first I figured that straps cut across the width would capitalize on the natural curve of the hide as it grows on the steer. But it seems like I might get a better yield if I cut lengthwise. 

I hope this question makes sense. 

Thanks!

On 11/22/2017 at 0:35 PM, Matt S said:

Parallel to the spine in order to minimise stretch.

Thanks @Matt S -  My intuition was wrong! I figured that cutting perpendicular to the spine would minimize stretch. Does that mean that all hides are stronger or "less stretchy" head to tail Vs. side to side?

Side to side ( perpendicular ( at 90° ) to the spine ) includes two areas of "belly" ( one at each end of the belt )..belly leather is stretchy..has to be, else the animal would have a problem eating.Most animals ( including us ) get temporarily* fatter after eating, they don't get temporarily longer along the spine, parallel to the spine leather on a bovine doesn't stretch much, it doesn't have to..

*over eat and "temporarily" can gradually become permanent.

Edited by mikesc

3 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Side to side ( perpendicular ( at 90° ) to the spine ) includes two areas of "belly" ( one at each end of the belt )..belly leather is stretchy..has to be, else the animal would have a problem eating.Most animals ( including us ) get temporarily* fatter after eating, they don't get temporarily longer along the spine, parallel to the spine leather on a bovine doesn't stretch much, it doesn't have to..

*over eat and "temporarily" can gradually become permanent.

Mmmmmm...that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the words of wisdom @mikesc 

Might said ooh lala fer him. er uh sumthin like that