Wedgetail

Need a rivet in a hard to reach place? You need a long anvil! And here is how you make one on the cheap.

G'day guys, 

I have been tinkering away in my workshop again and had a simple idea about how to make a basic long anvil to get into all those hard to reach places on your leatherworking projects for hole punching and rivet setting. I made this one using scrap and some basic clamps I had laying around... Enjoy, and I hope you learn something!

And if you get a chance, check out some of my other videos and subscribe to my channel.

Great idea, thanks for sharing! 

Karina

Way back in the 1930's grandad picked up a 6 foot chunk of train track. Have been using that chunk of track for the last 85 years of leather work.

Bit heavier than your chunk of iron but same idea..... :)   If making up things that are deep ie: 4 feet high, it allows to access the bottom area ,no problem at all...

It will outlast me and still look like it did from way back then....

I use a similar arrangement but I put the excess of the screw cramps under the bench so there is only a bit of the frame up top. It means the excess is not in my way and I can work over the cramp ends if necessary

Good call @fredk, i was watching that in my video and thinking exactly the same thing. Would be a good improvement.

@leathersmyth I'd like to see a photo of that! I have a train line at the end of my street with a bunch of track laying around waiting for disposal. (It has been removed, replaced with new track, and waiting to be collected for like 3 years)

@veedub3 thanks! I hope it helps :)

Tried to take picture of rail

says to large format...

only 1.46 allowed...

If using an iPhone, email the picture to yourself using medium size, and save that back to the camera roll. That should be small enough to post.

Yup, That worked... :) 

This the rail that use.... Its 6 feet of track

image1 (1).JPG