Ok, so every time someone posts on here about a different sewing machine the topic of thread sizes, materials, etc. comes up. As a relative sewing machine newby, is there a sort of general guideline for what types and sizes of threads you'd want a machine to be able to handle? Also, is there a logic to thread sizing worth keeping in mind (like the larger the number, the thicker the thread or something)?

While I don't have a machine I have been looking at them a lot lately and reading a ton here. 

The size of thread you want:need your machine to run will be greatly dependent on what you intend to sew i.e. upholstery, wallets, bags, purses, holsters, belts, dog collars, harnesses, saddles. 

You are correct the larger the thread number i.e. 98, 138, 207, 277, the thicker the thread is and the higher the breaking strength. 

This thread and needle chart should explain it for you.

Sew machines sizes and description during a quick lunch topic discussion:

In todays brief there could be a basic list of 5 sizes of industrial machines for fabrication.  In my opinion

1 Lace to medium garment- up to 46 thread. We here can use the laymen thread size better in the start to considering size and or strength needed. 

We could now briefly say its the use of a 301 type lockstitch to be used. In the standard seams. 

2 Medium heavy to heavy garment, includes  general canvas, denims and coveralls, tenting with some automotive and upholsteries- 46 up to 138 thread. 

3 Heavy garment, canvas, heavier automotive, aircraft, heavier upholstery and medium leather thickness. These items needing more pressure and a bit more duty. Also if appropriate for product the thread capacities and securement. These machines mostly use the same as others the typical 301 stitch type and threads and capabilities of 69 up to 138. The speed of machine even in factory setting can be slower in design for both power and operation. 

4 Same as above with few machines having been adjusted to perform with a 207 thread. This in my opinion requires consulting with the machine tech, if Any concerns to frequent a smaller thread change-up. This is a newer market product so requires the machine tech discussion. There simply is very little experience here on the internet with this. 

This now is the other side of the line. 

5 Big machines, that simply don’t use below the minimum 207 thread size efficiently. And with this size machine, really the threads of serious bigger sizes are the normal and doing so efficiently. 

The others may try to, but this machine size is Juki 441 and does it effectively with ease. I use this model simply because it is the choice most copied a lot and efficiently!  ( This is the Big Dog ) many smaller will bark, but knowing best to, only! from the porch.  

Its a great time to mention, that there is no sense in discussing adjusting machines to other categories here.  There are just to many perfect size machines. Not at all to be rude or blunt to the many future machine buyers but these are industrial machines, so setting or buying to perform a contract project, only then a possible reset or refit. In this we should think project size and capabilities of similar needs. This as a method we would setup for and could be our better solution!

Todays standup lunch chat

Later!

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Here are some Thread charts, for Ticket, TEX, Metric and Gov't size thread.  This helps if you find a deal on Gov't thread, you can figure out what size it is.

ThreadInfo11.thumb.jpg.c8c7fdb2cd092926ae525c2bc07e9a50.jpg

Governemt_thread.thumb.jpg.bb1815e6cc1f0e1c0acd58d2bada2fcc.jpg

gov-thread2.jpg.8efc587b7e4c504748f57067c777c720.jpg