Guest Debbie

Help needed with Singer 331K4

Guest Debbie

Hi, hope somebody can help me. I have a singer 331K4. I've been using it with no problems at all since I purchased it around 12 yrs ago. I use it for my business so it gets a lot of use but nothing too heavy. The stitching is perfect but the top thread is coming through with a rust colour on the thread. I use white mainly and it's wedding items I am making so this is not good. I cannot seem to find out either online or from repair people what is wrong with it. Any ideas?

Debbie;

Sorry for being late to notice this post. I play music on the weekends and don't get to sleep before 3 or 4 am.

Your thread must be picking up rust off something along the way, between the thread spool and the needle. Start troubleshooting by unthreading and inspecting the thread itself. If good, move along as follows, inspecting each piece of metal for rust.

1. Check the thread guide on the thread stand
  2. Check the top post if you thread through it.
  3. Inspect the three hole thread guide before the top tension disks.
  4. Unscrew the tension nut and remove the top tension spring, opener and disks. Chances are this is where you'll find rust and maybe even grooving from long term usage.
  5. If the disks are okay, run a length of white thread through the check spring assembly (under the top tension disks). If that assembly isn't the cause of the rust, it's better left alone.
  6. The next item to inspect is the take-up lever. Run clean thread back and forth and see if it picks up rust (hope not).
  7. After that, look at the few thread guides going down, then the last guide on the needle bar.
  8. Last, check the needle for a rusty eye!

If you find a part that is rusted, and it is easily replaced (e.g., top tension disks or thread guides), replace it. If it is in a difficult location, try using rust remover where it is rusting. If the hole in the take-up lever is the culprit, have a dealer replace it for you, unless you care to undertake a very difficult task.

I just looked at a picture of a Singer 331k4 and see that the check spring is simply attached to the same shaft as the tension disks. The spring itself could be rusting. It is not too hard to replace with a screw driver and some smarts.

Guest Lee

Hi all. Yesterday I bought a 331K4 here in France and it has terrible tension and making loads of loops on the bottom, so top tension. I'm having the hardest time trying to find the correct parts to service her with a new tension dial and perhaps new feeddogs, solid pressor foot and plate and maybe a roller foot for doing cutves. Could anyone help as to where to find it in EU, not UK as there a lot of import duty attached. I'm getting lost with various parts numbers and between consew and singer and brother as some are interchangeable. I'm so readu to sew with her as I make clothing from old tapestries and none of my other machines can handle it well. .please help!

2 hours ago, Guest Lee said:

I bought a 331K4

You should join LW and frequent the Leather Sewing Machine forum.  That's where the sewing machine guys hang out and you'll get more help there in general.

Every post in Help Wanted has to be approved by a moderator before it becomes visible.