navyrob74

Making a bible cover patfern

Hi everyone I would like to make a present for someone and was wondering how do you measure a bible to make the cover. Because I know you have to allow for space and stitch line.

This is all new to me and I am starting out in leather craft. So any help would be great.

Wrap the bible with paper the way you want the cover to be.  Add enough for the seam allowance, and add some extra pocket width and depth so the bible's cover doesn't get hung up while pushing them into your leather cover.  I'd add at least 1/2" all the way around to get to your stitch line, then about an 1/8" more from the stitch line to the edge. 

You can cut some scrap leather the same thickness as you are going to use to make just a 1" wide strap.  So it's just a narrow section for test purposes to see how the leather lays, how much room you want for the pocket, etc.  I'd still add a little extra beyond that.  Watch your glue line as it can eat up some of the pocket space!

Clear as mud, I suppose, but experiment to see if the test strip works for you.

Tom

Also be sure to add about a 1/4 inch across the spine, . . . as a "just in case" the other measurements aren't quite on the money.

I had an almost brand new high dollar reference Bible ruined by that simple mistake, . . . the spine was too narrow, . . . pulled in the covers when it was closed, . . . messed it up good.

The lady making it for me meant well, . . . just missed on the measurement, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thank you everyone for the help, I am really excited about taken on this project, what would you recommend for weight on the other cover if I wanted to stamp it 5oz. ?