utah leather

belt cracked

I recently sold a belt to someone and after about a month he came to me and said that it was cracking, he said that he hadn't kinked it or rolled it tight. My worry is that it has dried out from hanging in the basement ( my shop )  for 2 long, if this is the case someone told me to put neatsfoot oil on the back ( front is dyed with resolene finish ) what is the tecnique for doing this ?  ( I have several more straps to make belts from, so I want to get them soft before I make belts out of them so this doesn't happen again, any advice would be very helpful.   

I wouldnt put in on the back. After you dye before you topcoat put pure Neetsfoot oil (not the compound) on the grain(top). Let sit for 1 to w days before you put topcoat on. A little goes a lond way with neetsfoot oil. Can add more but not take it out. If the belt you made is truely cracked id say for good customer sevice you need to make him a new one. IMO

Use a dobber to apply the Neatsfoot oil. 

Give it a nice light to liberal coating, and let it sit for a day or two to absorb and dry.  You can always add another coat, but you can't remove it, if overdone. You could practice applying the appropriate amount of the Neatsfoot oil, on a scrap piece of leather first...

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

thats whats I did only I tried a rag first that didn't work so I tried a small piece of yellow sponge and that worked much better.  I checked on it last night and it seems to have soaked in pretty good, so I will try one more coat and see how it turns out. My other question is this, if this works and I do this on a strap to sell as a belt to someone, will it rub off on their pants  ( how long should I wait untill I give them their belt to wear without the neatsfoot oil rubbing off on their clothes ) 

On 12/16/2017 at 2:50 PM, Mattsbagger said:

I wouldnt put in on the back. After you dye before you topcoat put pure Neetsfoot oil (not the compound) on the grain(top). Let sit for 1 to w days before you put topcoat on. A little goes a lond way with neetsfoot oil. Can add more but not take it out. If the belt you made is truely cracked id say for good customer sevice you need to make him a new one. IMO

I was gong to give him another one , so if you're saying not to use neatsfoot oil on the back then I guess I will have to throw away those straps that are already dyed  and just use the raw leather that I have rolled uo and isn't dyed yet, Is there anyway to keek my leather from drying out before I use it ? . I don't precut belts until someone wants to buy one 

You can oil over dye. Just not good idea to put over Resoline. I can get... well... gooey....

I say try to salvage your belts, but if they dont look good pitch them or give them away to a church/  thrift store. You really dont have anything to loose. In the future you now know a better way.

you would need to strip the top coat finish before add the oil to the top side and you would be ok,  and then refinish again with a top coat.