SuperCreativeName

First Project Supplies

I would like to start learning how to work with leather. A friend of mine owns a dog training business and asked if I could make some dog leashes. This seemed like a simple first project to start out with. The leash that he, and his customers, prefer is similar to one found here: https://www.rayallen.com/ray-allen-blue-line-leather-lead

The leash is about 1/4 inch thick. From what I understand about leather, which is really nothing at this point, this should be 16 oz. I am having a difficult time finding any leather 16oz. thick and at least 72" long. My questions are where can I find materials to fit my needs? How do I know what size it will be when I buy it? Many of the cuts states a square footage but if one side is not at least 72" long I couldn't make a one piece leash. Should it really be that thick or should I use a lighter leather?

Any help at this point is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by SuperCreativeName

Do you want to duplicate the leashes shown on the website?  If not, I'd suggest using a 12-14 oz. harness leather back.  Using copper rivets for the hand loop and attaching the snap.  You can make this using a strap cutter, rivets, rivet setter, and a no. 3 edger.   After using edger rub your edges to a smooth surface. Finish by rubbing a conditioner into the leash, example Oakwood Leather Conditioner. Simple without major tool cost.

Thanks for the advise. I think initially I will not duplicate the stitching but eventually I may just to gain the experience. Any insight on ordering leather? Should I be looking for a shoulder, double shoulder, bend, or sole leather? How will I know if it will be at least 72" long on one side? Should I simply look for strips that meet my needs? Thanks again.

Ask for a Back and tell the supplier that you need to cut some 78 inch straps*. A good supplier will try to meet your needs.

* go longer than needed cos the ends might not be very good and you'll need to trim them, also asking for longer the supplier might have slightly shorter but still longer than what you actually need. The other sections you mention will not give you 72 inches. Buying individual straps is handy but not cost effective; they work out at about 10 times what you can cut them for

That leash is sewn throughout its entire length. Now, no one in their right mind wants to hand stitch 72 inches of leather, so this was done with a machine. Leather sewing machines, even the cheapest ones, will set you back about $1,000. So you don't want to be duplicating the leash in the picture anytime soon, unless you have really deep pockets... :D

That this is the type of leash his customers prefer shows how little your average pet owner knows about leather. Stitching eventually wears out and comes undone. If this leash is stitched because it's made of 2 pieces of leather sewn together, that's likely because they are trying to save money. Two thinner pieces of leather sewn together are much more likely to wear out and break than a single thicker one, as they were probably of poorer quality in the first place. A single piece of 72" leather, treated with waxes and oils to repel moisture and stand up to daily wear and tear would be much stronger, more durable and last longer than this leash.

Look for someone that can provide you with either bridle leather or latigo. That's what you want for a leash. The stitching may look fancy, but it contributes nothing to the strength and durability of a leash! Since you are in North Carolina, I'll let people who live closer to you suggest a source.

I have had a 1" wide leather dog collar since early 1980. It's made from a single piece of leather,  7 or 8 ounces in weight, which is plenty thick enough for a large dog, and the only stitching on it is where the buckle is attached. It's on its 3rd dog now, and still going strong.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Here's a suggestion, though obviously it is not quite what you are looking for it might be easier & cheaper to make if you are new to leatherwork

Make most of the leash from nylon webbing, (say 1"/25mm wide), including the fold over for the clip, and make just the hand loop from leather. That way it will be easier to find, and afford, the sort of leather you need, but the hand loop will still be comfortable against your hand

trap the nylon between the two ends of the leather; bevel the inner edges; skive the ends of the leather that entrap the webbing; use synthetic thread

Or make the whole leash with nylon and line the inside of the loop with leather; say 1,5mm?

Leather stretches, but thread doesn't. That's why top class belts & straps have a line of stitching down their edges. But hand sewing two lines of 72" stitching plus the foldovers would be a mammoth task, and so is usually sewn by machine

I have a dog, and it would be a damn shame if the lead snapped and he ran away and got run over. Use the best leather you can find, and if you can't afford it, use synthetic