strathmoredesigns

White Veg Tan

Does anybody know where to find white veg tan? I've seen it used in a few Etsy stores from the APAC region and Tandy does sell it in 9-10 oz bend and as belt blanks. I'm wondering if anyone knows where it is really coming from (like is it more common in a particular region) and if it is really just dyed white (as the Tandy site suggests) or is it tanned with different chemicals? Lastly, does anyone know if it is available in thinner thicknesses (like 3-4 and 5-6 oz) and where you'd find it? Here are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about. 

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/white-cowhide-bend-9-to-10-oz-3-6-to-4-0-mm

bookmark.jpg.5989487ec341a0032dd581c3804f5001.jpg

I don't have answers for most of your questions, but I think Maverick carries some.

Since you live in Us i would recommend Buttero (Really nice Italian leather) The reason I say "since you live in Us" is because you can't buy directly from the tannery (high moq) but you can find resellers in Us and of course asia.

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/leather/products/buttero-veg-tanned-leather-3oz-1-2mm-made-in-italy

This is not a vagetable tanned leather, this is called "Wet White". Vegetable tanins give colour to leather so it's impossible to achieve natural whiteness.  Generally tanner use syntetic phenolic replacement syntan and glutardialdehyde for this kind of leather. You can see my white tanned leather grain side and suede side photo. It can be done all thickness and also all colour. We generally produce "washable" type.

DSC_0094.JPG

Edited by Kemal

not sure how it is tanned . white leather used in the medical orthopedic trade. first is white called white elk. this is a stiff leather  the white seems to be surface painted on try leo. g stein   the other more like chap leather  called orthopedic cow pearl this come in  2-3 and 3-4  i've seen it heavier  try leo and waterhouse leather  i think the hide house carries some ortho cow in both cream and pearl . 

the elk leather is really cow  ,they been calling that for years. it comes in white,black,brown, smoked elk and taupe 

its what we covered the braces with