Alane

Directors Chair

I found a couple wood directors chairs at a flea market and would like to replace the canvas with leather. I can use the existing canvas for patterns.  Will I have to line the leather so it doesn't stretch too much? Is it better to use veg tan and dye it the color I want or use a different type of leather?  Recommendations for type and weight of leather would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Chair.jpg

I'd use a veg tan and dye it. Then you can do a little stamping. Names or border stamps on it. A fairly heavy leather would minimize stretch. Also would finish with Aussie or the like. Never did that but in my mind that's what I would do.

Pretty sure there is a dowel rod on the edge of the seat that slides in, and the arms are hinged to close over. The thickness of the leather might cause problems there. might have to get creative. The back would be pure choice. Maybe tool a back, wrap the arms and dye the seat?

I think you may be right on the hinge. 

you could keep the seat canvas as a liner so to speak. take the leather to the edge of the arms.

Here is a Gatorfly chair I did. Too much for real leather at the time. I used a faux from Hobby Lobby and kept the canvas underneath.

20180101_143251_resized.jpg

The arm does hinge and use the dowel rod just like was mentioned.  I will have to play around with it to see what works, I like the idea of bringing the leather up to the arms and keeping the canvas as the base for the seat.  Thanks for the input it is appreciated!!

Chair 2.jpg

chair 3.jpg

You could always make the groove for the dowel wider. Or ... split the dowel and place it on either side of the leather and slide it in that way. I have two chairs that I am contemplating re-doing with leather so keep this updated on your progress please.

@Alane,  A few years ago I hit on the idea of custom "Arena" chairs and used the bar stool height director's chairs for the purpose.  They were just right to pull up to the area fences and sit comfortably and watch the Equine and Bovine shenanigans take place.  They were very popular, generally sold in pairs and I sold something over 100 of them before I just got tired of making them.

I used NuBuk leather7/8 Oz. where there was usually canvas and then overlaid 7/8 Oz veg tan skirting for the decorative and custom parts. This allowed sufficient thickness and strength to prevent sagging  The NuBuk was just right to fit in the slots on the seat with the metal rod I used to replace the dowel.  From that point the only limit was your or my imagination regarding the custom work, tooling, inlays, etc. They sold for almost unbelievable prices and it seemed like once the first couple showed up at a show, then every body had to have a pair.   Ah, the good old days!

Any way you might get an idea or two for your project.  Good luck!

Paul

Arena chair.jpg

Arena chair back.jpg

Arena chair seat.jpg

Edited by sheathmaker

I like that hair-on-leather inlay, what animal is that from?

Rocko, that's Axis Deer.  Indigenous to India, but now we almost have as many here in the hill country as the White Tail deer, (and probably as many as India)!

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker