superpacker

Edge Creaser Efficiency

I recently purchased a Tandy edge creaser and have been a bit disappointed with it's performance on even basic leathers like natural veg tan. Takes lots of elbow crease to get even a decent crease, and even then it's not as deep as I would like it, so I have to go over sections again and again. In the past, I've borrowed my buddies, which was nothing special either, another budget brand tool, but it worked noticeably better. I'm guessing it's just luck draw with budget tools. But is there anything that can be done to increase it's performance, or sharpen but not so sharp that it cuts the leather? Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

If you haven’t already tried it, wetting  the leather will help.

I've never tried it but you can also heat the creaser. Some have electric or use a sport lamp of some kind so you don't get soot on the tool or leather.

Ive got a good few creasers and despite the cheap price, the tandy one is actualy one of my favourites to use. I allways heat mine using a parafin burner if I'm working with chrome tan leathers. With veg tan try wetting the leather, it will crease better.

Thanks! Any way to wet the leather without staining? I’m making a natural veg tan belt and will allow it to darken over time. And I think dampening will leave water marks? I did just try it on some leather that are more “moist?” Like cxl and it does seem to work better. I mostly just use veg tan 

If you wet the entire belt evenly it will darken slightly. But it will be even. Same as when you are stamping or tooling.

8 hours ago, superpacker said:

To report, wetting the Leather made the creaser work so well!

That’s good to hear!  I use a Tandy creaser and had to polish the ends to get them nice and smooth so they didn’t scratch the leather.  Heating the tip with either an alcohol burner or my heat gun also produces a nice burnishing effect in the crease.