Gecko

Singer 45k53 questions

Good day all. 

I'm looking at a listing for a Singer 45k53 amd the listing says it needs a bobbin shuttle race.  Is that something that's available? Is there anything else i should pay special attention to? 

Thanks in advance. 

If the race is missing the shuttle hook and bobbin are probably missing, too. Parts might be available, I may even have some in my stash, but you really need to find part numbers to get the right bits and pieces. Kinda sounds like a parts machine, or one that has donated some parts, willingly or not. Make sure you have time and money to invest after you buy a machine like that. 

This thread contains manuals and other useful info regarding the Singer 45K53:

Edited by Uwe

Parts are certainly available for this.

Shuttle race retainer, shuttle race, shuttle and spacer are all available. I supply these from time to time and currently have races on order so I can finish a machine I am working on.

Gecko,

If you can post a picture or two of the machine, I can compare it to my 45K53 to see what else, if anything, the machine is missing.  Is the seller the person who used the machine?

This is the picture from the ad.

It sounds like he used it in an orthopedic brace factory. 

Screenshot_20180102-234946.png

It's difficult to tell much from that angle.  Perhaps the seller will send you more pictures.  If so, here are two similar links (different formats) to the Singer45K53 documents that are in the Smithsonian Institute, they'll show you the original machine and tell you what it can do with the proper attachments:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/0160/

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/pdf/sil10-160.pdf

Here are a few pics of my machine to use for comparison, it's quite complete:

IMG_4281.JPG.7be8a4d5baee0a5e613793f8bc52c03c.JPGIMG_4267.JPG.57fa1f99502a375f14da080c0692244b.JPGIMG_4268.JPG.66c4b9949ad945c8e91ab6c052d84dd2.JPGIMG_4269.JPG.f484c7168ff7fefede48f2108f3bac1a.JPGIMG_4278.JPG.47c9b8d01614993149cf33be5d0aab1d.JPGIMG_4279.JPG.28418ab6c04021aa4544852cb9275eff.JPGIMG_4280.JPG.fc291096328ab7556763cf39ca27c8e0.JPGIMG_4281.JPG.d58ebe6ffac9fc067ced1b2d49c60825.JPG

What is the seller asking for the machine?  Restoration gets expensive fast.

Edited by Evo160K

I may have some used OEM Singer race parts but have to check.... Please post pictures of the shuttle race area so we can see what is missing.

Thanks for all the pictures Evo169k.

He's asking 350 but said he'd entertain reasonable offers. Its about a 3 hour round trip though. Maybe I'll ask for some pictures of the race area. 

11 minutes ago, Gecko said:

Maybe I'll ask for some pictures of the race area.

you definitely should! Better asks for good detailed pictures from all sides - race parts are rather easy but other parts are way more difficult to find!

EDIT:

BTW - I just noticed the race parts seem to be present - see red circle!!

Anyway - ask for more detailed pictures of the whole machine!!!

Screenshot_20180102-234946.png.84bbed71e9229790ad99a9fd095f716c.png

Edited by Constabulary

Here are a couple of pictures i got from the seller. I'll admit that i don't know what I'm looking for. 

6276.jpeg

6278.jpeg

Hi There, i would say that it is all there. you are looking for the parts which make up the shuttle race area. the ring is inside and the other part is taken off and at the side of your shuttle. the parts are as follows from outside to inside : shuttle race cover, shuttle race cap spring, shuttle race, shuttle and then shuttle race ring. the cover is always missing from these machines so is not needed for it to work. it looks as if these parts are there except the cover but possibly the screw that holds the spring on is broken and inside the thread?? at least it looks like it to me??

DSC_0277.thumb.JPG.f874afa8b6ef9e0b6ffc1601cae6c5ac.JPGDSC_0278.thumb.JPG.9e12d709fa81fc4a699c419065636223.JPGDSC_0279.thumb.JPG.a258fc4d371c9cb26e5f789b4781c174.JPGDSC_0280.thumb.JPG.5e2106e70104de0aa40c2d88cf5f27f1.JPG

See my above post and the red circle - seems the parts are present - in the circle I see the shuttle race, shuttle hook and race - missing parts (or outside the picture) are the screw for the brace and the spacer.

EDIT:

Mr. 45K hit the send button a moment earlier ;)

EDIT II:

seems the spacer is still installed so the only parts would be the screw for the brace / spring that fold the shuttle race in place.

Edited by Constabulary

:lol: also the foot looks as if it has been bent a little?? and the treadle is badly broken on one side. it may still work though for foot power.6276.jpeg.5fe3b46fe74e7962e7e1362b1d5d3318.thumb.jpeg.b62bea7f35356ba260c69ea240751ddf.jpeg

the treadle and table normally looks like this:

DSC_0277.thumb.JPG.787715c8322dc6575e670667318dea36.JPG

Edited by jimi

I would ask for a picture of the entire back side and a picture of the entire faceplate/shuttle end, they would show if parts are missing or broken. Believe me, most of those are near impossible to find and are difficult to fabricate. The parts in the shuttle area are available, but as Jimi and Constabulary said, they look to be present on the table at the balance wheel end.

Hi Al, that looks like another 45k53 in your area :o you are going to become the expert on these machines in your neighborhood :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. You are an incredible source of knowledge, and awfully kind to share it so freely.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

See my above post and the red circle - seems the parts are present - in the circle I see the shuttle race, shuttle hook and race - missing parts (or outside the picture) are the screw for the brace and the spacer.

EDIT:

Mr. 45K hit the send button a moment earlier ;)

EDIT II:

seems the spacer is still installed so the only parts would be the screw for the brace / spring that fold the shuttle race in place.

Yes folker, i think you are right. that is why the race is not on the machine for sewing, the screw is broken so Gecko would not be able to sew anything before buying unless he held the race on with his hand:blink:

You are welcome Gecko, can you see where the screw is broken in the picture?? (red arrow)

Yes, Jimi, and hopefully that would be a pretty easy fix to get that out and replace the screw. (It could happen.)

Yes i agree, and possibly Constabulary or Uwe would probably have a spare screw, or even Darren? the chinese copy machines like the GA-5 i think it is might work? or if you knew someone with a lathe they could possibly make one up for you? you could always hold it on with your hand to try it out. Evo could possibly tell you if the foot is bent as he has the same machine. to me it looks bent so you might have to look for another foot which as Evo says are very hard to find, not impossible. but also they look easy to make.

He also sent this picture of the loose pieces. 

6280.jpeg

You're welcome Gecko.  Gecko, as Jimi said, the foot is bent, here's a picture of mine.

IMG_5064.JPG

Should be easy to heat and straighten.

Hi Jimi, Constabulary.   Jimi, you know what an expert is don't you..........a former leak!

Edited by Evo160K

Hi guys. I'm bumping this thread as this machine popped up again for sale and I went and looked and had to bring her home.

Ill need a belt and the cast iron ring shown in Jimi's picture above. Does anyone have a line on one or a part number?

DSC_0280.JPG

Jimi's 45K53 PartsDSC_0280_JPG_e134e16aeed9e82c48951acce5ae2547.jpg

The screw in the picture is SS218.  Good luck

Evo160k, thank you very much for the play numbers!  The hunt is on!