Sheilajeanne

Doing a Border Line

Okay, this is driving me nuts! I have a key chain kit from Tandy, and the leather strap is shaped exactly like a belt that narrows in where the holes are. I've tried several different methods of drawing a nice, straight border around the edge of the belt, but things go sideways when I have to do the curved bits.

I've been using a stitch groover to draw the line, but have it angled so it won't actually remove any leather, just leave an indentation in it. The darn thing tends to skid out of position on the corners.

Suggestions for other tools I could try to do this same task?

Between mucking up the border, and not doing a good job on the curves for the Celtic knotwork design I decided to decorate it with, it's really starting to look pretty dreadful!  :wacko:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

If you don't have a set, you need to get a set of wing dividers.  They leave a scratch line and will go around curves OK.  Takes a knack.

A pair of compass/ wing dividers; set the points apart how far from the edge you want the line, eg 3mm apart, then run one point on the outside edge of the leather and the other on the leather. Just go slowly and carefully; don't rush it.

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/wing-divider

Or use one of these; an adjustable creaser

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/craftool-adjustable-creaser

I prefer the wing dividers. I've filed one point down so its shorter than the other and its a bit more of a round point, to make a smoother line. With one point longer I don't have to tip the dividers to the side but can keep them upright

If the Leather is thin and tending to move or squish up consider glueing it to a bit of cardboard or wood.

12 hours ago, Tugadude said:

If you don't have a set, you need to get a set of wing dividers.  They leave a scratch line and will go around curves OK.  Takes a knack.

I find what works best for me is. In the curve i hold the divider mostly still and turn the leather.