Brianm77

Marking stitch line

My current process for stitching is this,

mark with divider or awl, poke holes with stitching chisel, stitch.   

If I am using soft chrome tan that has a lot of texture and the mark left on the leather is not visible very long then I go right after the marke and trace it with a marker I found at Tandy.  That marker is sometimes hard to remove, I use saddle soap and it helps.  One leather I used some did not seem to like the saddle soap very much.  It dried it out really bad and seemed to remove some of the color. 

My question is what is the alternative?  I would love to here about the product or process that some of you use to put temporary marks on leather. 

Even with soft leather, you can mark a stitch line with dividers and the stitching will cover the line. No need to use any kind of marker. This is the process I used on this checkbook cover and you can't see the divider line at all.

chbkcvrfront800px.jpg

15 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Even with soft leather, you can mark a stitch line with dividers and the stitching will cover the line. No need to use any kind of marker. This is the process I used on this checkbook cover and you can't see the divider line at all.

chbkcvrfront800px.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/dWH8r

my problem seems to be with soft textured leather.  Like this money clip I finished recently. Marked the lines, pretty hard I might add, with dividers.  Did both sides.   When I was done you could not see the first set if stitch lines.  I have made several out of this leather and some out of similar and had to marke 1 line with the divider and immediately mark with that marker.  Everything I have done with smooth leather did not need any extra attention after the divider.  I was just wandering there has got to be a better way or at least a better marking device

Not sure if these would work for you, but Lisa Sorrell (a LWN sponsor) has been selling some heat erasable markers that look promising on her Sorrell Notions and Findings site.  She also has a youtube video on how to use them.  They just might do the trick for you.

- Bill

Since I come from the old school of graphics and design, I have several compasses. I use them instead of the dividers that I don't have. The lead leaves a mark you can see, and even leaves a shallow depression for the stitching, but comes off pretty easy with saddle soap or oxallic acid.

These are what I use. Craftool Pro stitch-groover is only if I really want a groove. Same for the third one down. And I usually don't want an actual groove. Technically, the second down is also a groover, but I just apply lighter pressure for a mark, instead of a groove.

stitchmarker.JPG