Black Dogg

Donation for shelter auction

Every year I make something to donate to the spring auction of the animal shelter where my dog Sadie came from. In the past I've made dog collars, wallets and coaster sets, but this year I went off on a different track. I haven't done a lot of carving recently due to building my cabin, but we've had some cold and snowy days lately and I've been kicking this idea around for a while. It's a bit of tribute to my dog Powder, who I still miss, even though she's been gone almost six years.

Carved on 8-9oz veg tan, colored with Fiebing's spirit dyes and hi-liter, Resolene to seal it. The border is pigskin lining leather sewn with 1.0 Tiger thread. All mounted on a board by putting a tack in each of the dog paw prints that make up the border.

pawheartpic.jpg.de91b19407535c806cdf00183e95dd77.jpg

Comments welcome!

Black Dogg

I know a dog lover is going to snap that up quickly!  Nice job.

Gary

Very nice! I'm sure they appreciate it.

Someone is definitely going to grab that really fast.

I also have a dog named Sadie... but I have 9 dogs so one might as well be named Sadie. :)

Great work!

-Ryan

Thank you for the nice comments, Gentlemen.

I hope that there will be several dog lovers at the auction and get into a bidding war :spoton:! That would be awesome for the shelter, they are funded entirely by donations and their fundraisers, so every dollar helps!

Rolandranch: I would love to have nine dogs, but mine goes with me almost everywhere I go and with eight more I think I would have bit of a problem (especially in a canoe :lol:).

Black Dogg

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I thought it kinda fits with the "picture" theme:

After making more "practical" items for the last few year's auction donations, I had an idea for a carved picture again and went to town. It's hard to tell from the picture (my photography skills are not the best :rolleyes2:), but the lettering and cabin silhouette are raised and the paw print is embossed. The rope border didn't come out quite as good as I wanted (was my first time using that stamp). The frame is mortise-and-tenon and held together only by the tension of the laces.

To fancy up the hanger strap, I did a mystery braid on each side.

All the leather is from Wickett & Craig; 8-10oz. carving for the picture and 5-6oz. English bridle for the hanger. Outside dimensions of the frame are 20" x 24".

Shelter donation 2024.jpg

Hanger detail.jpg

I just realized I never put the 2022 donation on here, so here are those pics for your viewing pleasure :)!

I had made a serving board and coaster set that year. The board was a piece of live-edge red elm with paw prints carved into each corner and sealed with Tung oil. On the back I put my maker's mark, "FECIT MANU" (Latin for "made by hand" since I don't have power tools) and 2022 in Roman numbers.

The six coasters are Wickett & Craig bridle front and back and 1mm Tiger thread.

Coasters & holder 1.jpg

Coasters & holder 2.jpg

Serving board back.jpg

Serving board front.jpg