Texson

Mouse Pad

Needed a new mouse pad at work so I made one.  I kind of rushed the tooling since it was the first one and I wanted to get a feel for how to build it.  I'll take my time on the next one.

Mouse Pad.jpg

21 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Looks great!

Thanks, Retswerb!  I was just looking at your luggage tags a couple of hours ago, and planning on making some of them up.  It also looks like we're in the same area.

The deer looks really good. 

Nice job Texson!  Please provide details on project - leather type and weight, finish, thread size, etc.

Gary

Machine or hand sewn? Looks very good, I like the border stamps to be closer together but still very good

The work and technique look grand

Just a wee bit of criticism; a pictorial balance thing. The tooling of the deer is spot-on, but for pictorial balance it should be leaping into a space. On this its trying to leap off the pad but hitting a 'fence' - the border edge pattern. In pictorial balance things/people/animals should be moving or looking into a space. On the balance of space in front or behind the subject can give an impression of speed, eg little behind/more in front = fast, same behind/in front = slow or stationary

7 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

The deer looks really good. 

Thanks, Bikermutt!  The deer was part of a craftool.  I just used that part.  I didn't notice until I looked at the picture that I had over-beveled the neck/back.  Like I said, I was rushing this one just to figure it out.

3 hours ago, Carson said:

Machine or hand sewn? Looks very good, I like the border stamps to be closer together but still very good

Thanks.  Hand sewn.  I agree about the border stamps, I was just throwing this one together as an experiment/learning opportunity.  I will take my time and do it right on the next one(s).

6 minutes ago, fredk said:

The work and technique look grand

Just a wee bit of criticism; a pictorial balance thing. The tooling of the deer is spot-on, but for pictorial balance it should be leaping into a space. On this its trying to leap off the pad but hitting a 'fence' - the border edge pattern. In pictorial balance things/people/animals should be moving or looking into a space. On the balance of space in front or behind the subject can give an impression of speed, eg little behind/more in front = fast, same behind/in front = slow or stationary

Thanks for the input.  I was trying to get the leaping off the pad image but hadn't thought about running into the "fence."  Definitely something to pay attention to in the future.

4 hours ago, Texson said:

Thanks.  Hand sewn.  I agree about the border stamps, I was just throwing this one together as an experiment/learning opportunity.  I will take my time and do it right on the next one(s).

Remember.... Slow is steady, steady is fast.

Not rushing a step is something I really struggled with in the beginning. My hands won't take the tooling, but I was rushing at other steps. And, it showed. Now I force myself to take my time, even walk away and smoke for a minute.

Doing small batches helps to slow down.

15 hours ago, garypl said:

Nice job Texson!  Please provide details on project - leather type and weight, finish, thread size, etc.

Gary

Thanks, Gary!  Used 4-5 oz shoulder I think (just something I picked up at Tandy), white waxed thread from Tandy, and finished with Eco Flow Tan Gel Antique. 

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Remember.... Slow is steady, steady is fast.

Not rushing a step is something I really struggled with in the beginning. My hands won't take the tooling, but I was rushing at other steps. And, it showed. Now I force myself to take my time, even walk away and smoke for a minute.

Doing small batches helps to slow down.

Yep, I sometimes get excited about an idea and want to just throw together an example to see how it would work, with the intention of taking my time and doing a "good" one afterwards.  I've been doing this off and on for 40 years, mostly off, and I still get excited pounding on leather. : )

I've only been at it about 3.5 years. But there was probably almost 2 years of breaks in that time. I'm a late bloomer and a procrastinator.

11 hours ago, Texson said:

Thanks, Gary!  Used 4-5 oz shoulder I think (just something I picked up at Tandy), white waxed thread from Tandy, and finished with Eco Flow Tan Gel Antique. 

Oh, and backed with suede.

17 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I've only been at it about 3.5 years. But there was probably almost 2 years of breaks in that time. I'm a late bloomer and a procrastinator.

My grandfather introduced me to it when I was 9, and I did it throughout the summers as a teen, but then got away from it for awhile.  I did it occasionally during my 20 years in the Air Force but usually was short of time, money, or room to work.  I got back into after I retired from the Air Force about 10 years ago but then got married and went back to the off/on cycle.  I'm back on again now and hope to stick with it this time.  But I'm also a procrastinator and easily distracted.

Procrastination is so easy when you make a mistake on a project that you have already invested yourself in.

I have 2 card wallets, and a passport case that have contributed to at least 6 months worth of procrastination.

Edited by bikermutt07