SheltathaLore

Lost a screw - anyone know what replacement I need?

This weekend was an adventure - broke my garment machine twice attempting to sew light leather on it with a self-modified foot (whoops.  extreme regret), fixed it twice (extremely proud of myself!), and lost some screws in the process.  After some creative deciphering of the parts list, I'm fairly certain I know what I need to replace the missing feed dog screw with, but I also lost one of the screws that holds the hook on (WHY ARE THEY SO IMPOSSIBLY TINY).  Anyone know what I need for a replacement?  I assume the dealer replaced the hook before sending it to me (it seems improbable that a Chinese knockoff brand installs Japanese hooks by default) - but if it helps, it's a Typical GC6760, and this is the manual + parts list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q5z7a550assjfw/TY_manual_GC6760_en_01.pdf?dl=0

Relatedly, I assume this machine is a clone, but if anyone knows what it's a clone *of*, it might save some puzzling over e.g. what the heck a "Screw SM3.18-44x6.5" is, in the future.

Picture:

YSeu8sP.jpg

20111101090049064906.jpg

7 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

Screw SM3.18-44x6.5

That's probably a 1/8"-44 or #5-44 screw written in weird metric/imperial mishmash dimensions. 1/8"=3.175mm

That missing hook screw might be tough to find individually. Your best bet may be to buy a cheap hook that has a good chance of using the same screw. I doubt Hirose invented a new screw for each of their hundreds of hook variations.

One candidate is the Hirose HSH-7.94B hook,  which is used in dozens of machines and therefore cheap. Available for around $15 on Ebay and I guess some of our trusty banner vendor have them, too. At this prices, the clone manufacturers have little incentive to make their own.

Hirose_HSH-794BLarge.jpg

Here's the list of machines this hook fits, according to the Hirose Catalog (Hirose Catalog Low Resolution OCR.pdf) :

Hirose HSH-79.4B.jpg

Edited by Uwe

I would guess it is a BROTHER S-1000 / S-7200 clone or similar - check pictures at the College Sewing Website (see link below). I guess most of the brother machine of this type will use the same hook.

if you find the screw - order 2 or 3 of them along with needle screws, tension spring and screws a thread regulator spring, maybe tension unit nut spring and discs, needle plate screws, feed dog screws and other useful screws and small parts  - you will be literally "screwed" if you loose them in the middle of a project (this happens) and you have no replacements. Better have 2 of each as spare!

When I setup a new old cast iron clunker for my self, the 2nd thing (after restoring and adjusting) is looking for small screws and bits. I get most f my stuff from College Sewing in the UK.

Their Brother section:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/brother-industrial-sewing-machine-spare-parts/

Edited by Constabulary

Oh, I hadn't thought of looking at the Brother machines!  I bet I have a clone of the 7220, since mine's a needle feed, and it looks exactly the same - right down to the incredibly annoying thread wiper placement.

Definitely going to snag some spare screws.  Thanks for the tip!

This should help, and can be ordered by part number.  Here, Juki numbers are being used.

JukiHookParts.JPG