LloydChristmas

Using Single Needle on a Double Needle Machine?

I'm new to leather working, looking to purchase a post bed roller feed machine, and I have the opportunity to grab an (almost new) double needle Pfaff 1294. I'm going to need to do both single and double needle work, so I was wondering if it'd be possible to use this machine for both by removing one of the needles when need be? I'm sure having 2 separate machines is the ideal way to go, but my budget won't allow it, so I just wanted to double check that my idea will work before I pull the trigger. Any/all advice or help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Edited by LloydChristmas

I don't know about this particular machine. But I think "think" most double needle machines can be run with a single needle.

I do it all the time on my twin-needle flat bed and post bed machines.  The only drawback to the twin-needle post machine is that the post is twice as wide and can be a little restrictive if you are running certain shapes over the post (e.g. the tightly curved heel of a boot upper).

Edited by Ogoki

I had a double need Juki 1560 and was strongly warned by a reputable shop against running it single needle. The explanation was they are designed to handle the stresses balanced across both needles and running it single loads the stresses laterally to one side and can lead to uneven wear on the needle bar, bushings, etc.

Aside from that the presser feet are crazy wide and a pain in the ass to sew assemblies with narrow allowances.

I can't imagine that uneven wear of parts would be a concern in a hobby setting...  or that the needle bar would feel the difference, except maybe in the unlikely event of a single needle mounted on a really wide gauge set...

Well... It doesn't seem like a very good idea to run for example a Singer 112 at the maximum 2" separation between the needles (if I recall correctly), and then only using one needle while sewing something tough close to the machines maximum capacity, there would be quite a bit of leverage on the needle bar etc. But set for perhaps 1/4" or 1/2" width I doubt there would be a problem. Sure, somewhat uneven load, but nothing crazy.

G'Day,  I have a Seiko STW 28-B . It was a twin needle, but I haven't had the need for a twin needle set up.  ( The machine was pretty much given to me ) . 

I use the Consew 226 manual for this as they are very similar . 28-B manuals are hard to find. 

I've had it for at least 6 years . I use mine mainly for horse rug repairs, canvas work, shade sail repairs etc.  and medium leathers using industrial strength threads  and suits my needs . Its regularly serviced and it  works fine . Had no issues with any imbalance  or uneven wear . Its 51 years old.

Its a bit hard to see, but if you zoom in , you can see  the ' twin needle bar' but  its set up with a single needle. 

Hope this helps 

HS 

Seiko STW 28-B Pics 2018 001.jpg

Edited by Handstitched