superpacker

Square Belt Tongue?

I've seen images of some old rugged work belts where the tongue end wasn't rounded or cut in an English point - but rather just cut square (perpendicular to the strap length), with the corners ever so slightly rounded. Has anyone seen this done, and what are your thoughts? Obviously, the pointier the end, the easier it will be to thread through the buckle end. But, at least for work belts, I kind of like how "matter of fact" and simple it is.  I should say that the few times i've seen this a center bar buckle was used - and center bar buckles tend to be kind of square-ish in form - so the tongue end and buckle seemed to compliment. Center bar buckles are also my preferred buckle. 

Edited by superpacker

To each there own style. I see nothing wrong a square end or English point or rounded. 

I’m sure it was done for efficiency purposes as much as it was done for not have to buy and sharpen a strap cutter.

Oddly enough Tandy's Multi Strap end punch will work perfectly for that.lol Each their own I say. There are no "rules" in some areas.

Thanks - agreed that there are no “rules” but wasn’t sure if it would be too out of place. Sounds like no. And Fire88, I agree that I’m sure it was equally an efficiency matter. When you think about it - it’s the strap end that uses the least amount of leather - so it seems to fit in for work belts especially back in the day where a small outfit was trying to crank them out with as little waste as possible 

First belt I ever made was square at the tip. Never had any issues with and wore it almost everyday for years. In fact I just recycled that belt for a leg tie down for another project. It lives on!

@superpacker You made me do it and this is my first belt, 8/9 backed by 5/6 with a stifener in it. 

96A1E0A8-61C8-4A21-87F3-D6A45A7C765A.jpeg

Edited by Fire88

Because I liked the way the black one came out decided to do another one different weave stamp and it’ll get dyed brown

CAE696D0-EF65-4283-AFF4-7CECBA422EE4.jpeg

On 2/20/2018 at 2:34 PM, superpacker said:

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! I like how the end looks. 

Did you just round the square corners by hand?

Thank you and absolutely easiest way to show others. 

I have corner chisels I got from Springfield leather 10,20,30mm or something like that. I cut almost everything square and then use them to nip the corners before sewing. 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:18 PM, kiwican said:

Great job on the stamping 

Thanks, there are mistakes in the square stamp somewhere but I fixed most of them with a modeling tool. That square stamp is easy to screw up.