nycnycdesign

Attaching Shop Vac to Bell Skiver

Hello all,

Has anyone had any luck attaching a shop vac system to the scrap chute on a regular skiving machine? It seems like it could have enough suction to make a difference and limit scraps wrapping around the feed wheel.

I'm thinking of rigging something up but wanted to see if anyone had any experience doing something similar.

I figure the shop vac hose could connect to a reducer like in the pic below and then find some piece of ducting that could fit relatively snug with the chute below the table.

Here's the machine I'm using.

AV2MNEWrid.jpg

reducers-r6x4-64_1000.jpg

58 minutes ago, Fortyknotsnosmoke said:

Hello all,

Has anyone had any luck attaching a shop vac system to the scrap chute on a regular skiving machine? It seems like it could have enough suction to make a difference and limit scraps wrapping around the feed wheel.

I'm thinking of rigging something up but wanted to see if anyone had any experience doing something similar.

I figure the shop vac hose could connect to a reducer like in the pic below and then find some piece of ducting that could fit relatively snug with the chute below the table.

Here's the machine I'm using.

AV2MNEWrid.jpg

reducers-r6x4-64_1000.jpg

Here are a few pictures that might be of help. I suggested to someone awhile back about doing just this but I don't know if anyone has tried it yet. I suggested a bit of work with a poly elbow and a heat gun to reshape it. Note that you would want to have a space for the dressing stick to get in and I would suggest that the waste go into a sealed bin first then the vacuum attached near to the top and with a mesh to stop larger pieces from getting into the vacuum bag. The reasons for this are to stop any sparks from getting to the bag when sharpening and to have a more convenient method of empting the scrap. Although you are using a FAV and these pics are a Fortuna they will be the same measurements. I have a FAV  AV2 as well with an extractor/aspirator.Brian

Bell dressing stick.jpg

Suction tube 1.jpg

Suction tube 2.jpg

Suction tubes.jpg

DSC08053_resize.JPG