Markwell

Belt holes...size

Howdy!

I have made belts and straps in the past. But I have never been too systematic with the holes I punch into a belt. I just used what fit the buckle. Thinking about it though, especially when making templates, I'd like to use a standardized hole size. Is this even possible? Is there a hole size for belts that fits most buckles?

Much obliged,

Mark

I've found that most buckle pins are at least close to a standard size. If a particular buckle had one that was considerably tiny or large, you might change the hole size. For instance, with narrow ladies buckles, I use a Craftool #02 1/8" punch. For almost all my other belts I use a Craftool #07 7/32" oval punch. Round punch instead of oval I use the #04 5/32".

Think of it like this. If you put a round pin, in a round hole, no problem. If you put a round pin in a round hole at an angle, you will wish you had an oval hole. (Actually, with enough wear, you will have an oval hole). In use, the pin in a buckle lays in  the billet hole at an angle. 

Edited by alpha2

Years ago I purchased a CS Osborn oval punch.  It was the smallest they made.  Because of the bevel of the punch, the hole is larger than ideal.  Who makes oval punches that would make a nice hole?

Ron

All of the round and oval punches I have will leave an overall hole larger then the hole at the end of the punch. I guess you'd have to start with a smaller than ideal punch, to arrive at the size you're looking for.