TomWisc

Gun Belt leather

I am new to leather working and this is my first post. I have made a few belts using leather from a double shoulder, about 1/8" thick, and they turned out fine for a regular jeans belt. I see gun belts are about 1/4" thick and am wondering if glueing & sewing 2 pieces of 1/8" thick leather is as strong, or stronger, than a single piece 1/4"thick?  I know there is lots of work to laminate 2 pieces together. 

6 minutes ago, TomWisc said:

I am new to leather working and this is my first post. I have made a few belts using leather from a double shoulder, about 1/8" thick, and they turned out fine for a regular jeans belt. I see gun belts are about 1/4" thick and am wondering if glueing & sewing 2 pieces of 1/8" thick leather is as strong, or stronger, than a single piece 1/4"thick?  I know there is lots of work to laminate 2 pieces together. 

Welcome Tom!  No problem at all to glue and sew two pieces of leather to make your belt.  Cut two blanks and make one wider by about 1/8” on each edge to make it easier to glue them together without worrying about lining them up perfectly.  After the glue dries, trim the edges flush and then dye, finish and sew.

Gary

Thanks, Gary. I didn't think about cutting one blank larger than the other but that makes perfect sense to me. Which sides of the leather would you glue together?

7 minutes ago, TomWisc said:

Thanks, Gary. I didn't think about cutting one blank larger than the other but that makes perfect sense to me. Which sides of the leather would you glue together?

Glue the flesh sides together so the smooth grain sides are facing out.  Weldwood cement works great.  After you glue and trim, sand and burnish the edges, and scribe lines to follow for your stitching.  There is a lot of information here and on YouTube that will go into more detail on making belts.

Not that difficult. Just think of it as needing to trim to a uniform edge. Weather it's the front piece, or the back piece. You just need to cut the two pieces to a trim that you can bevel and burnish to an even surface. 

I go one step further.  I layout the belt width I want and then block cut that out with about 1/8" margin and then cut the back piece about 1/8" larger than that on both sides and then cement it flash to flesh, and then I cut out the actual belt width.  Nice 90 degree edges and ready to edge and burnish.  it wastes a little bit of leather, but the quality of the finish is worth it.

I line everything I make so I use this procedure on just about everything,' holsters, knife sheaths, belts, head stalls spur leathers, whatever.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

8 hours ago, sheathmaker said:

I go one step further.  I layout the belt width I want and then block cut that out with about 1/8" margin and then cut the back piece about 1/8" larger than that on both sides and then cement it flash to flesh, and then I cut out the actual belt width.  Nice 90 degree edges and ready to edge and burnish.  it wastes a little bit of leather, but the quality of the finish is worth it.

I line everything I make so I use this procedure on just about everything,' holsters, knife sheaths, belts, head stalls spur leathers, whatever.

Paul

Good point Paul - I like your method!

Gary