BattleAx

Consew 225 Need a little help.

I have a Consew 225 I have been trying to adjust the tension to get the knot in the middle of the material leather and heavy canvas. I have adjusted the tension on the machine almost as tight as it will go to as loss as it will go the knot just stays on the bottom of the material.  I have also tried to adjust the bobbin also the machine will not respond. I am using #138 thread and 135x16 & 135x17 needles. I have also checked the  timing it looks good. 

Thank You.

IMG_2235.jpg

135x16 and 135x17 are the shank type/needle system - what size of needle are you using?  Have you successfully sewed with this machine before or is it new to you? If it's sewed fine until just recently was anything adjusted or changed on the machine?

Things I'd check:

- Needle size?

- Is it threaded correctly?

- Does the knee lifter fully disengage the tension disk release and allow normal tension?

You should be using either a #22 (140) or #23 (160) round point needle with #138 bonded thread in canvas. The #23 pokes a bigger hole and makes it easier to pull the knots up. (Leather point needles are only for use in leather, not canvas, cloth or webbing.)

You absolutely should be able to loosen or tighten the bobbin spring tension. If the knots are always on the bottom and you are using a #22 or 23 needle, loosen the bobbin tension spring action by backing off the screw nearest the hole where the thread comes out of the bobbin case.

Make sure there is sufficient top tension to pull the bottom thread up on the upstroke. It takes more top pressure than bobbin pressure to pull the knots up.

Make sure there is enough foot pressure to keep the material from lifting with the needle.

Hi I am using #22 needles I have 135x16 and 135x17 I got the needles and thread from Bob over at Toledo. I will make theses adjustments today. I have a CB-4500 that I use for most of my work I want to use this machine for the lighter leather work and binding the inside of some of the waxed canvas bags.

Thank  You Wizcrafts & DonlnReno I really appreciate the help.

The problem was in the tension assembly on the Consew there was a pin  that goes into the machine and another little pin in the tension assembly that needed cleaning and oiling. That is the only part of the machine I did not go through and clean and oil. Thank You for the info. The machine is working wonderfully now

That's great news!