bruce johnson

Saddlemaking DVDs

Not sure if anyone still reads this thread, but that said I'd like to add my thoughts to the general collection. From the perspective of someone who has built saddles, there is no doubt the Dale Harwoods is the most enjoyable to watch; he is a true master. I do not recommend this video as a starter. If you have not done a saddle to date or just getting started, Jeremiah Watt's saddle building is an absolute must have in your library. Mr. Watt's perspective and wit are top shelf. If you don't spend another dime buy this video. Second is Bruce Cheney - he will guide you through the process and enjoy the country music from the heart of Texas. Also Bruce has a YouTube series - worth watching. Bill Gomers videos are ok, I spoke with him a couple of times, a gentlemen. Ted Aldal and his friend, his name escapes me, produced a six (6) set video series. Lots of meandering but you get to know Ted and friend through the process. He passed a couple of years ago, not sure where they may be available. With respect to Dusty Johnsons I purchased them years ago, can't find them and have never bother to look for them after watching them once. The Traditional Cowboy Arts Association with Cary Schwartz are excellent, ground seat, swell, cantle binding & rigging - all worth the money.

Ted Aldal's associate on their tapes was Bill Conway.  Last fall I worked on a saddle Aldal made, and I was impressed by his tooling and craftsmanship.  Ted lived in San Jacinto, CA.  Just around the corner from where Al and Anne Stohlman lived prior to moving north. 

Thanks, you're correct it was Bill Conway. Both real Gentlemen. I have to make an effort to find those tapes. If not I'll buy another set just for the help Ted offered me over the years.

Does anyone know if you can still purchase the harwood video?

As an update to an old but valuable thread, I'd like to add that Steve Mecum now has a instructional DVD.  He makes a fine saddle and I've seen bits and pieces of the DVD and it looks very good.  Also, I understand the Harwood DVD is no longer in production.

Slightly off topic of the thread but does anyone out there know where I may ppurchase John H. Beck Saddlemaking. First published in the mid fifties.

Thanks

When I had my saddle shop in the mid/late 90’s, all I had was a year of repairs, and the Dusty Johnson Video! Remember, this was pre-Internet! So I was limited to a friend who was 250 miles away, but always a phone call away! 
mid have to say the Dusty Johnson video was enough to get the ball rolling! My photos are too big to post here... so go to www.Facebook.com/DavidMillsSaddlery and you’ll be able to see some I made 20 years ago! I’ve recently gotten back into leatherwork, but haven’t the room for doing saddles just yet! 

C9A0E232-0CA6-4B09-92C7-21CD4DDAE33C.jpeg

Another excellent video to add to this list is Saddlemaking: The Ground Seat, first published on DVD in 2012, where Cary Schwarz, a founding member of TCAA, leads you through the process of building and installing a ground seat in a custom saddle. I got mine through the TCAA, not sure if it's still being produced. The ground seat is probably the most important part, and then equally important is the rigging choice and placement of them for horse and rider. Great thread! 

Which style of ground seat does Cary build in the video?  The steel strainer type or the built up Stohlman style?

Thank you and God bless.

3 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Which style of ground seat does Cary build in the video?  The steel strainer type or the built up Stohlman style?

Thank you and God bless.

Wade, metal strainer