RKCrowe

Skive Knife Review

Just got a skiving knife off Amazon. 

Sold by Bayvan shop, $9.99. Stainless steel blade. Though it looks like several shops selling the same knife. 

I bought it because it was very cheap and also had numerous positive reviews. Also if it was junk, no real harm and I would buy a name brand knife. 

The edge was pretty rough but some time polishing and stropping fixed it up nicely. 

Opinion: it was worth the risk and price. And I accept that I will have to strop more often than a big boy knife, and start saving for a big boy knife. 

Works nicely on “designer sides “ too.

As a side note: I also got the Aiskaer wide (French) beveler/skiver. Based on the stitching irons from same that I’m happy with. A quick polish and it is good to go. 

F9066A77-F5E6-47B3-A2BF-922C699DA2EA.jpeg

19F0E0B1-0E08-4BE2-AA2D-A38460DDF064.jpeg

D6B195D9-3F17-4CBE-9AB5-2934ED79E1B0.jpeg

I have tried handled paring knives but cannot use them, I always go back to my english Geo Barnsley flat skiving knife, like the one at Abbey saddlery, http://abbeyengland.com/Store/CategoryID/202/Category2ID/130/List/1/catpagesize/0/Level/2/ProductID/77309

35 years old and going strong.

Maybe I need to try a new fangled one.

H

I have one of those Japanese/Chinese skiving knives and am quite pleased with ti as well. Same comments as OP for the most part, edge was a bit rough but after some stropping on some green rouge it is light saber sharp.

I’m really interested in the flat knives, even thought of getting a d2 steel bar and try to make one. But it will be the next skive knife I purchase  

By the way, I nicked the edge of my Chinese special. I filed the nick out and re-sharpened it and all is well again. 

I started with the same knife about a year ago.  Does the job, cheap and the skills learned with it is transferable to any flat knife.  

For future reference, when you get the funds up, I highly recommend one of these made from Hitachi Aogami Super Blue steel.  It truely is night and day.  

https://globalhighendtools.stores.jp/items/59a7ffdc3210d53a380001b2

Stainless will never get as sharp as carbon and the angle of the Chinese blade won’t allow you to use it upside down. 50 bucks (plus shipping) for a world class knife isn’t too bad either. 

Also available here:

https://districtleathersupply.com/products/nobuyoshi-japanese-skiving-knife-36mm

A follow up on the knife;  it does a good job. However, if you want to shive more than 10-15mm, the wooden handle becomes a liability as it interferes with getting a shallow enough angle on the skive. Especially with thinner leather. I had get the leather high enough off the bench to allow the room to drop the handle low enough to get the shive correct. 10-15mm and less it is good.

Something to consider if you are in the market.