Benny

Cowboy hat leather

Hey guys, new to the forum, so a big hello from the UK. 

I've used the search engine and nothings came up, so apologies if this has been covered endlessly. 

I've wanted a cowboy style hat for a while and I was just wondering what kind of leather you guys feel is some of my best options as I'm doing a leather Order this week. 

Kind regards 

You want something that can be molded to keep and have the shape you want.  That sort of pushes you to using veg tanned leather.  Not too heavy either, or you wont want to wear it.  I would suggest 2 to 3 oz. thick.  If you are not concerned about molding the typical dents in the top, you could use chrome tanned, or other, but again, you need to keep the weight down.  Give yourself some air space between the top of your head and the top of the hat.  Else your head will get pretty hot out in the sun, especially if it is a black hat.  I wear a sort of cross between a cowboy and a floppy hat.  It doesn't have the height that many cowboy hats do, and makes it easier to get into a car without knocking my hat off.  The top sits pretty much on top my head, thus the comment about the heat in the sun.  Male pattern baldness doesn't provide any insulation!

Tom

You do realize this thread, the question, is over 5 year old?

1 hour ago, fredk said:

You do realize this thread, the question, is over 5 year old?

Both of their posts have links to sales websites so I'm guessing it's just a spammer. 

Missed that, Reported now

1 hour ago, BlackDragon said:

Both of their posts have links to sales websites so I'm guessing it's just a spammer. 

40 minutes ago, fredk said:

Missed that, Reported now

Spammer is now blocked.  Location said Canada, IP address Gujranwala, Punjab, Pakistan