Flutist

Screws for Blanchard Paris Gauge

I acquired a very decent Blanchard Paris gauge, probably between WWI and WWII. However, it has been in the hands of a very awful person who treated it extremely bad. One damage I couldn't yet solve are the screws. It has two eyelet screws with a diameter of 6.59 mm which is probably 1/4 inch.Do you guys have an idea where I get two of those screws???

29541070_624972601174784_1811851586665459058_n.jpg

Edited by Flutist

If you're in the US, I would recommend McMaster, Ace Hardware, or Fastenal.  Ace and Fastenal have retail stores so you could go in and see if it matches the thread pitch as well as diameter.  McMaster has a huge range of materials and a very good search engine.

The threads on the screw in the photo don’t look damaged, are you replacing it for cosmetic reasons? If you want an exact replacement, you may have to get one from a donor tool. If you just want a functional replacement, than what baroness said, the hardware store is your friend. If it is 1/4” diameter, it may be 1/4-20, which is common as dirt, or 1/4-28, which is not. Blanchard may also have made proprietary thread forms like Singer frequently did. The comical point implies that this is a set screw. If so, you should replace it with a set screw with a similar point to avoid damage to the surface it bears against. Set screws are also typically hardened. 

If it is just a cosmetic issue, could you just dress the heads with a file?

I am in metric Europe. So that's kind of a problem. 

Yes, the one in the photo isn't damaged. The one in my purse is with which I went to a German screw store (yes, you heard right, a store just for screws like zig million screws in there) without success. 

I have not found replacement screws with that type of head either. On some the head is actually threaded onto the shaft of the screw. I found this when the head screwed right off a few jammed screws. I have also found at least 2 or 3 different threads in equivalent screws on different Blanchard ploughs. I've got about 25 or 30 Blanchards in the back shop right now with various problems with broken or stripped screws. When I get to them, plans are to redrill and tap for modern screws. 

7 hours ago, Flutist said:

I am in metric Europe. So that's kind of a problem. 

Yes, the one in the photo isn't damaged. The one in my purse is with which I went to a German screw store (yes, you heard right, a store just for screws like zig million screws in there) without success. 

Please add your location to your profile.  You may get more responses to this and future posts from people in your area.  And of course, we like to see where everyone is from.

Tom

I am bit more clever know. I asked a screw maker to make me some and he said no because these screws are actually forged! I am trying to get some made. So if any of you are interested, and it would actually dampen the price I have to pay if I get more than 2 done, just say so. The thread diameter is 6.59 mm exactly (the guy in the screw shop had a digital caliper). I will write the exact measurements a little later when I have an answer from the maker. But that might help you already to figure out if the diameter is the right one. 

You can also try to contact some people who sells vintage Blanchard tools on Ebay France.  You may get lucky. 

Depending on the damage to the screw you may be able to braze or TIG material onto the screw and shape to suit or perhaps have the shop machine just a threaded rod to match so you can cut and weld on a similar head.  

I am interested to know the price of two custom screws if you would share.  Here in the US it would be very expensive. Good luck!

Are you trying to keep it original and restoring?  Or are you wanting to make it functional?

Would it be possible to drill and rethread the female part making it easier to find or have made a matching screw?

Or perhaps a more common bolt and have an eye welded to the top?

On 5/5/2018 at 6:04 PM, gunny5821 said:

Here is a bolt and screw company in Buckinghamshire

That’s a fine bit of detective work!  

9 hours ago, Webicons said:

That’s a fine bit of detective work!  

Thanks, in addition to being in the business approaching 30 years, I was once a welder and machinist in a past life, as well as a retired criminal investigator (USMC CID Agent).

Here is a link to a bio and backstory on what we do within the shooting industry.  http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=143280

2 hours ago, gunny5821 said:

Here is a link to a bio and backstory on what we do within the shooting industry.  http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=143280

Interesting life experiences and those are some beautiful clips.  It’s also nice to hear that your son is in the business and will carry on the making tradition. 

Can you provide a link to the finished sling? 

1 hour ago, Webicons said:

Interesting life experiences and those are some beautiful clips.  It’s also nice to hear that your son is in the business and will carry on the making tradition. 

Can you provide a link to the finished sling? 

Here is a National Match Service Rifle Sling in Chestnut Bridle with brass hardware  http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=1164393&postcount=7

Here are some of our Cheek Pads for the U.S. M1 C/D Rifles, ran on original dies and tooling  http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showthread.php?50089-M1D-cheek-piece&p=394776#post394776

http://turnersling.com/