jos1980

Duty and taxes for Canadian Orders in the US

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any Canadians here who know how much we get taxed on Importing Leather from the States?   I'm looking to get some Wickett and Craig Bridle and it's alot cheaper from Buckleguy then anywhere in Canada....just worried about the import fees and taxes.   Any help would be great!

Thanks!

If it is tanned in USA, because of NAFTA, there should be no duty charged. GST will be applicable and depending on how you ship it, there may be brokerage charges. 

I really avoid using UPS on bringing things to Canada, they always prove to be stupidly expensive.  If the shipment is small enough, I like to use USPS.  

I think it matters just where your located. This is just from my listening to conversations here on the site. As I gathered some areas can have an additional cost and some may have this combined somehow into their own fee/tax structure. 

Good day

Floyd

Hi jos1980,

I don't know how close you live to the border but what most people in this area do is to have a US address (mailbox) at UPS. We live about 45 minutes from the border and find that most orders of stuff over a certain dollar value has free shipping within the US. Then the wife and myself go across for 48 hours (weekend) and get $800 duty free. When we have to make a day trip to get a special item usually the item is cheaper even with the rate of exchange and you pay GST. Don't forget to gas up before coming home.

kgg