DonInReno

Pedal to the metal!

While many/most can't imagine anything other than a heavy cast iron sewing machine pedal with a tiny range of motion, I spend more time driving than sewing and more than once I've wished for the feel of an automotive version.  The frame I'm working on now has a square tube in the right place for a pedal intended for hot rods....so here's a new toy - stainless steel and about $35 from Summit Racing.  Mounted under the tube requires the linkage to push up rather pull down, but that's simply a matter of turning the servo controller speed input upside down.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is pretty cool!  Tell us how well it works when you finish installing it.

Gary

You going to fit one of them thar racing pedals with holes in it? You know, to make it go faster?;)

It's kind of funny that the "fastest" pedals for drag cars and boats looks the most like an aluminum commercial sewing machine pedal! It's good for all the way on or all the way off.  Lol

I'm such a slow sewer - even on long canvas seams - that there's no need for racing stripes so far.

I am making remote foot pedals for "portable" machines using a servo and that pedal you have shown us will make them lighter and prettier.

Thank you Sir!!

Nice!

Here's a pic showing the simple splined pivot allowing the foot pedal and arm to be adjusted to any angle relative to each other.  

JEGS probably has a similar variety of this style of pedal in various forms - there just happens to be a Sumit Racing warehouse in Reno.

image.jpeg

I have just found a supplier in Australia for them. $AU35 + $8 postage.

Awesome!

Gas pedal is two-thumbs-up!  

There is about a 4:1 ratio of pedal movement to shaft movement and most of the variability is in the first 1/2" of the 2-1/2" of pedal travel, which seems about right.

Surprisingly, the amount of return spring pressure greatly affects the comfort of your foot.  Too little is as bad as too much. With just the factory return spring the resistance is so light a single big toe can easily operate it.

The bracket that uses factory motor mounting holes was tossed and the speed controller was mounted separately from the motor, which was flopped around and now runs in reverse - super simple - time to mount the planetary reducer.

Tomorrow I'm grabbing another pedal and making it into the presser foot lifter! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Heim joint linkage made me grin. Slick. Planetary ;)