I had to try it… so here is my first purse, a laser-cut version of the Hermés Birkin Bag. It’s really more of a prototype, as I’m still learning how the laser cutter works on different leathers, and, more importantly, how to execute good design.

The leather used for the outside and inner pockets is top-grain “Red Dakota” cowhide (5-5.5 oz.), and the lining is “Designer Delight Dark Red” (2.75-3.25 oz), both from the Hide House in Napa, and the thread is Waxed Polycord from Maine Thread Company. The cutting, the lacing holes, and the engraving were done on a 100-watt, CO2 laser cutter, with the pattern created in Adobe Illustrator. Hardware is from various sources, and all stitching was done by hand.

BrknBag1 sm.jpg

BrknBag2 sm.jpg

BrknBag3 sm.jpg

Very nice!!

Awesome!, may I ask where did you get the pattern?

I made the pattern myself. Somewhere online I found the dimensions of various sized Birkin Bags, so that gave me the overall size I was looking for, then I went to work using Adobe Illustrator to replicate the various images I found as a basis for the design. Of course I wanted to give it my own flavor, so I rounded the corners to soften the look.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Stunning.  Just gorgeous.  There's no emoticon I can find for "picking my jaw up off the floor."