RegisD

Old West Double loop holster

Here is one I recently made using 9/10 oz Hermann Oak leather.  Hand stitched using the saddle stitching method with five strand Barbour's thread hand waxed.  Both the belt and holster patterns are from Will Ghormley's Old West Collection I have used his patterns many times can't go wrong they are very accurate. The dye is Fiebing's   medium brown sealed with Fiebing's Tan Kote and treated with Montana Pitch-Blend. 

Comments welcome 

Hope you like it thanks for looking. 

rsz_img_1652.jpg

Correction, I miss spoke in the above post.  The holster was crafted with 7/8 oz and lined with 4/5 oz.  the belt is unlined  9/10 oz.  

Thanks!

Regis 

Very nice. Hard to see but is there a toe plug?

Very nice looking rig!

Which of Ghormley's pattern packs is it?

4 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Very nice. Hard to see but is there a toe plug?

"Oh my God....I beseech thee grant me the grace to remain in Thy Presence; and to this end do Thou prosper me with Thy assistance, receive all my works, and possess all my affections" Brother Lawrence c.1614-1691

Good idea to seek the assistance of a holy man when it comes to sewing in a toe plug!

I looked up "Brother Lawrence" (who was unknown to me till now) and learned that this pious man worked with leather in his later years.

Thank you all for the very nice compliments.  Plinkercases there is not a toe plug although it is a nice add-on for that holster.  LederRudi the holster is from Ghormley's Old West Collection- Cheyenne Holster.  I thought the belt was from his Cartridge Belts pattern pack but when I looked it's not one of those.  I have been making that belt for a long time, on patterns I use often, I transfer them to stronger stock, sorry can't remember the origin of the belt.  

Beautiful work and the Heavy Duty construction is period fitting and appropriate for a single action wheel gun:)

Non-leather working Folks have no idea how long it takes to make a 'custom' and detailed holster or the many steps it takes till completion!

I just finished a 'Revolver holster,' and delivered it to my customer yesterday morning and it sort of hurts to see a 'masterpiece' go:)

Take care!  Sam:)

6 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Very nice looking rig!

Which of Ghormley's pattern packs is it?

Good idea to seek the assistance of a holy man when it comes to sewing in a toe plug!

I looked up "Brother Lawrence" (who was unknown to me till now) and learned that this pious man worked with leather in his later years.

Toe plugs are actually not as hard I I thought they would be. I follow the Stohlman stitching technique. Very satisfying oddly enough when they are done.... although as Brother Lawrence would say you need to "practice the presence of God" when doing them!...  and if you are not believer at least practice some breathing... in and out... I liked the challenge of visualizing the awl following the line of the "spokes" towards the centre so the stich spacing on the face and the plug have  different spacing due to the curvature but remain even in and of themselves.

RegisD - I admire someone who can use the saddlers stamp (least that's what I call it.. the meandering border stamp) and execute a nice smooth patter. Do you run a swivel cut or a scribe along the inside edge of the pattern when done to clean it up?

If the belt is unlined is that a real stitch lien or just a run off an overstitch wheel to give the impression of stitches?

and excellent colour... I may have to get some.

Edited by plinkercases
added a question

Plinkercases: Do you run a swivel cut or a scribe along the inside edge of the pattern when done to clean it up? Most of the time I will run a swivel cut line and if I don't I should, great observation on your part.  

If the belt is unlined is that a real stitch lien or just a run off an overstitch wheel to give the impression of stitches? Just a run of the overstitch wheel to give the impression.  

Thanks for the questions 

ComputerDoctor, Thanks for the compliment.  Toe plugs will challenge a person as will thick main seam filler/welts.   

Thank you for answering, RegisD and Plinkercases.

As for toe plugs … I just picked up Stohlman’s book for a closer look at his suggestions and I believe to have found the key: the distance of the stitching channels from the edge – 1/4 resp. 3/16 of an inch.

This also tells me why I’ve botched an otherwise nice camera bag box stitching…

Can I ask how long you've been making gun belts?  Really nice!

Saddleman 15, if my memory serves me correctly I started leather crafting in about 2003 while I was involved in the game/sport of Cowboy Action Shooting.  Although i have been interested and somewhat fascinated with cowboy gun leather and accessories all my life.    

Thank you for the nice compliment much appreciated.