I "borrowed" this pattern from JLS Leather's treasure trove of help a while back. Finished it up this weekend and hopefully it will make it to it's new owner in time for her birthday. 

3oz (this was that black Friday Tandy stuff from 3 years ago) all the way through. The slick finish on the 3oz means you had better de-glaze the hell out of it. I like how it takes finish uneven, but that's me.

All dye work is with Gel Antique Briar Brown and Saddle tan. Great stuff to work with (well, I like it). If you want it to look washed out just flood it with water and dab away.

The new owner is a pink kind of girl so off to (hands over man card) Johann's. The Pink is a polyester fabric held in place with headliner glue. I was surprised but there was no bleed through.

Paints are all Angelus, 5 to ? number of coats,  and over brushed with glitter lights glitter.  

Looking back I should of rotated the compass 90deg and I will watch out for that next time. Yes, I know, it's upside down, the catch should be at the top of the side but the reality is I did it just to make people go "why did you put that there?" :)

Saddle stitched with 1mm waxed thread, Purple (I like purple and I didn't have any pink), John James #2 needles..... this is the 2nd item I have sewn with JJ needles. They are AWESOME!

IMG_9597 1.jpg

IMG_9600 1.jpg

IMG_9603 1.jpg

IMG_9601 1.jpg

IMG_9602 1.jpg

Very smart

I like it.

Looks good, and thanks for giving @JLSleather his credit. That dude has a ton of free stuff so a mention is just.

I think the things you mention being "wrong" are fine and are one of those things that likely won't be noticed by the receiver unless they are keen on how to judge these things. Your painting looks really nice!