geezer

Question on Singer 31-15

I have an opportunity of purchase  an old Singer  31-15   which the seller said it was a walking foot  machine.   (  It is a 160  mile trip when I take a look at this machine)     Did Singer make this machine with a walking foot??    I  can't find any information  to  verify this.        AND what kind of grease is used for the gear case?   

Any help is appreciated.

Hello  The 31-19 was a walking foot.  A fellow I knew had a leather factory and used them

to sew thin western jackets and vests.  He kept parts and said he could repair and service

them in minutes.     

Hi geezer,

My understanding of the singer 31-15 is that it was made as a industrial straight stitch not a walking foot sewing machine made more for tailors able to due light to medium weight fabrics. I would ask the owner to describe the movement of the foot and bottom feed dog as the needle goes up and down (straight stitch foot moves straight up and down with the feed dogs moving the material from front to back where as a walking foot lifts off the material at the rear of the feed dog cycle, moves forward and drops down on the material ).

My 2 cents

kgg

31-15 is not a walking foot machine, Great machine for sewing light weight materials. But won't sew heavy ..  So depends what you are sewing.

I made the comment about the  (31-19) because there may have been a possible

miscommunication between the seller and buyer  about the number. 

I have the short version I use for vamps. I also lengthen the stitches on

most of the 33 and 44 series machine I have owned.  The 31-15 was the

go to machine for upholstery when I started the 111w machines where very expensive.

I knew a girl on the bike circuit who used a 31-15  and not just a patch sewer,

she could put a zipper in a heavy leather.  She was a very accomplished stitcher.

Good old machine.