BDAZ

Simple belt question

I was in the middle of a large project that required a lot of embossing using my 6 ton press. The piece of granite I use as a stage shattered after one overly enthusiastic pull. There is a granite kitchen place a few miles from the shop so I headed over and explained my situation to one of the managers. He took me over to their scrap box and let me take whatever I wanted. I found a few perfect pieces of granite as well as a few quartz, which is even better.

I asked him if I could make something for him from leather and he showed me his belt. It was about torn through from where he clips on his tape. I told him I would be happy to make a new belt, using the same hardware and I would reinforce the area where his tape clips on. I had some usable leather and wanted to make a usable belt with minimum effort. I am sure he will be thrilled.

I took a picture of the back of the buckle are and took measurements but I have no idea what size to punch the holes. I found a Tandy buckle to have a look at the final belt but the 2mm holes I punched are too small for this buckle. I have to deliver the belt tomorrow and don't want to show up with a hand punch if they are too small. I also don't want them too big either. 

Based on the pictures, any suggestions about the best guess at hole sizes for the buckle?

I don't make belts and this is probably the first one I have made in years!

Thanks!

Bob

Granite-Belt-1.jpg

Granite-belt-original.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

Hi, Nice belt.

what ever size you punched the slot for the belt buckle should be the size for the holes too. I think it’s 4mm?

I haven't tried his buckle, I winged it with the oblong punch.

Bob

Those screws probably a "6" punch, if you're at the Tandy.  Or .200" (which is about 7/32" for you fractional people).

So buckle slot is likely about 3/16" x 3/4", and if you went with 1/4" x 3/4" it wouldn't hurt a thing.

Oh, and a piece of steel under the stone will keep the stone from flexing (again).  Stone very hard surface, but not really made for unsupported vertical shear.

Edited by JLSleather

After playing with Photoshop and superimposing one image over the other it appears the buckle frame itself is the same size as the Tandy buckle but the prong seems to be smaller and narrower. The Chicago screws are a #6 punch but that is definitely too big for the prong..

I'm thinking I'll just have to wing it. 

Actually the press has the included steel plate I use under the granite. I have switched to quartz for my next project. Tighter grain and less prone to shattering and cracking.

Thanks!

Bob

9 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I was in the middle of a large project that required a lot of embossing using my 6 ton press. The piece of granite I use as a stage shattered after one overly enthusiastic pull. There is a granite kitchen place a few miles from the shop so I headed over and explained my situation to one of the managers. He took me over to their scrap box and let me take whatever I wanted. I found a few perfect pieces of granite as well as a few quartz, which is even better.

I asked him if I could make something for him from leather and he showed me his belt. It was about torn through from where he clips on his tape. I told him I would be happy to make a new belt, using the same hardware and I would reinforce the area where his tape clips on. I had some usable leather and wanted to make a usable belt with minimum effort. I am sure he will be thrilled.

I took a picture of the back of the buckle are and took measurements but I have no idea what size to punch the holes. I found a Tandy buckle to have a look at the final belt but the 2mm holes I punched are too small for this buckle. I have to deliver the belt tomorrow and don't want to show up with a hand punch if they are too small. I also don't want them too big either. 

Based on the pictures, any suggestions about the best guess at hole sizes for the buckle?

I don't make belts and this is probably the first one I have made in years!

Thanks!

Bob

Granite-Belt-1.jpg

Granite-belt-original.jpg

I think a 4mm (3/16") hole would be best as the tongue has a flat back and they tear into a narrow hole more. The crew punch most likely would be best at 4x25mm or 3/16 x 1".  I prefer when the strap is going through the buckle that the tongue can swing back enough to not need to stretch the leather any. To be sure I generally get some scrap of the same thickness and fold it over to see. If at 1" there is a visible gap then I would drop it back but if the leather is less than 3mm (1'8") then 20mm or 3/4" will do.