JoRom

Calculating prong punching distances?

Fellow Leatherworkers,

I hope you are all doing well.

As I am trying to improve my stitching, I seem to have difficulties when using the chisel to make the holes.

More specifically, in the picture you can see the leather card holder wallet ( I know what stitching is kinda wavy unfortunately) if you notice the bottom stitching near the corners, they are not even. I begin my punching always with the left & right corner  and then start punching from one side towards the other but I always do not manage to efficiently have similar distances from the first holes.

is there a rule of thumb for this? 

Regards,

John

3788DEB4-DC55-4E5A-AFCE-3F7410BD6CDF.jpeg

First of all, it is helpful to use a set of wing dividers or an adjustable groover to make straight lines that are the same distance from the edge and perpendicular to the edge.  Yours seem to vary and are not 100% straight.  Having done that, you then begin the punching.  You will seldom have a project where the punches fall out perfectly.  You will have to cheat somewhere in the line of stitching, resulting in a stitch or two that are either closer together than the rest or slightly farther apart.  I prefer closer as I think it is less noticeable.  So on the next one, get your lines perfect first, then align the punch on the lines and see if that helps.

For items like this you have two options:

- mark your stitches in one run. Use a 2 prong iron for going around curves and corners.

- if you need the distance on the top to be equal you have a spot where your two runs meet. You can be lucky and meet perfectly, but in most cases you will have to decide whether you do a longer or shorter stitch. Choose that spot wisely, many people use spots that are hidden or unpromiment

Those odd stitches always seem to stick out more right on the corners. You might try using an awl and using a round hole for your turns. The next tip would be to mark from each corner towards the center,  when you are close take two or three stiches and make them each just a bit shorter or a bit longer to make up your difference. That won't leave any one stich with all of the extra space and it won't end up on a corner. That made sense in my head, but not sure if it translates to a helpful suggestion.

I’ve found that many issues pertaining to stitching can be avoided with templates. Take the time when making your templates to calculate the stitch spacing and do a dry run with your tools.  

I’ve been using Adobe Illustrator to make my templates and you can create stitch lines in various spacing using the Line tool.  I do this regardless if I’m using a chisel or awl to make sure things make sense and my stitches end up where I want them to.

Edited by Webicons

I just use pricking irons or a overstitch wheel to get my spacing right and split the difference in places I can't get to fall evenly like corners.

Normally I do rounded corners. I put a stitching hole in the centre of the curve the use a two prong tool to work away from that, then a 4 or 6 pronger up the sides to about 1/3 from the bottom. Then I do the holes from the top. As I get close to the holes coming up I check to see how many holes are needed and adjust the spacing slightly if needed

A template idea is good. I do not have one yet but I'm going to buy one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Craft-Precision-Stitching-Corner-Zipper-Slot-Hole-Guide-Template-K6/292493934951?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3Dfb9c97fb84f245c887accbf245d58aee%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D292493927666%26itm%3D292493934951&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I recently got one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Craft-Acrylic-Perspex-Cutting-Circle-Corner-Stitching-Template-4mm-K6/292493927666?hash=item4419ff24f2:g:58IAAOSwhsVas2Mb

Both are available in 3mm and 4mm spacing

Another thing you can do is run an over-stitch wheel over the stitching; its like a stitch marker but its blunt. It helps to make the stitches straighter

31 minutes ago, fredk said:

Normally I do rounded corners. I put a stitching hole in the centre of the curve the use a two prong tool to work away from that, then a 4 or 6 pronger up the sides to about 1/3 from the bottom. Then I do the holes from the top. As I get close to the holes coming up I check to see how many holes are needed and adjust the spacing slightly if needed

A template idea is good. I do not have one yet but I'm going to buy one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Craft-Precision-Stitching-Corner-Zipper-Slot-Hole-Guide-Template-K6/292493934951?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3Dfb9c97fb84f245c887accbf245d58aee%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D292493927666%26itm%3D292493934951&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I recently got one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Craft-Acrylic-Perspex-Cutting-Circle-Corner-Stitching-Template-4mm-K6/292493927666?hash=item4419ff24f2:g:58IAAOSwhsVas2Mb

Both are available in 3mm and 4mm spacing

Another thing you can do is run an over-stitch wheel over the stitching; its like a stitch marker but its blunt. It helps to make the stitches straighter

Very helpful templates!  I'd not seen them before, thanks for sharing.

1 minute ago, Tugadude said:

Very helpful templates!  I'd not seen them before, thanks for sharing.

Those ones have only just recently come on to the market. At first their prices were high but they've steadily dropped

There are also templates for key cases, wallets, card-wallets, small to medium sized shoulder bags and more

You all have been very helpful.

thank you very much for your replies.

what I am trying to do now is to very softly mark where the prongs will punch and then do the final punch. 

I will look up templates & illustrator.

best regards,

john