keithski122

knee lift fitment

4 hours ago, keithski122 said:

Might be buying a machine with a solenoid foot lift, is it possible to fit a knee lift while still keeping the solenoid?

This would depend on the clearance between the solenoid and where it presses and I guess what machine type. I have a Pfaff that has a solenoid that I could easily put in a knee lift between but that would mean the solenoid would then need to be disconnected as to not be activated. If you want both to operate independently that would require a bit of fancy connecting but is likely possible. Not sure if there would be any reason to have both able to operate. May I ask why you would want the knee lift instead? 

I'm used to the knee lift on the machine I'm using at the moment and thought it might be handy to have on the new one.Quite often I'll positon the material at the start of a seam and hold with both hands and drop the foot with the knee lift or when needing to change direction while sewing give a quick nudge with the knee and carry on sewing.I guess I could get used to not using one as when I first started I could only use the handlift.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, keithski122 said:

Might be buying a machine with a solenoid foot lift, is it possible to fit a knee lift while still keeping the solenoid?

On most industrial sewing machines the solenoid is actuated with a 24 volt DC signal.  On some motors that have a control box there are features for input and output options that can widely vary.  Typically, these motors are electronically controlled with the use of a digital input.  Rule of thumb, chances are if you have to ask, no, your motor probably does not have a 24V DC output for presser foot lift.  Or the machine would have it.  Or it's broken.  Just kidding here.  

If you made it this far, and the machine does in fact offer auto foot lift, most often they are going to have a pretty user friendly way to do it.  One of the most common options for foot lift can run off of the foot treadle with a heel back on the motor control foot treadle, instead of a more common toe down, or forward.  Many people prefer this setup.  Also, input buttons can be mounted almost anywhere.  In this case here you are asking about a switch mounted under the table top close to where a normal knee lifter presser pad would be.  The electronic ones can be adjusted higher or lower and to a comfortable distance when operating the foot treadle.  The nice thing about this is that you do not have to move the knee lifter very far, just enough to activate the short stroke of switch button.  And you can get full presser foot clearance, or lift from the machine, by specifications, every time.  Another nice way to do this setup is with an extra foot pedal for the foot lift.  Again, using only a short stroke to activate the foot pedal.  Some like it to the right or the left of the sewing machine's foot treadle.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Wow, really helpful answer Gregg.You've actually posted on my other thread about the machine (juki 1510 with efka control box).

Never even thought about moving the button or having it operated by the kneelift pad.