Raksha

Lined dog collar - how?

Hi guys! To day I got my goatskinn/leather (?) and want to make a dog collar lined with the goat. 
I want the edge of the goatskinn to fold inn and make a nice round edge. 
Sooo - I have an all purpose glue for leather, wood, paper and so on, can I glue with that and just fold and then stitch through the lot? Or do I need another kind of glue?  

Your glue should work, but I would definitely test it on scrap first.  Follow the instructions to the letter and see if it works.  Chances are, it will.

I agree with Mike. Test it on scrap. Be sure it won't bleed through or stain or something weird. 

As for lining the way you want to, I would cut the liner wider than the collar. Enough wider that when you turn the edges there is ample room for your stitching to grab.(typically 1/4" to 3/8") should be ok. Also, be sure to skive the edges before you turn them if they are a little thick. Not skiving could make a little bump or ridge down the length of your liner. If you want to get real fancy, you could even pad the collar. Just my thoughts.

Finally, this is most important, take pictures and show us what you made hehe. Hope it works well for you. 

15 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

I agree with Mike. Test it on scrap. Be sure it won't bleed through or stain or something weird. 

As for lining the way you want to, I would cut the liner wider than the collar. Enough wider that when you turn the edges there is ample room for your stitching to grab.(typically 1/4" to 3/8") should be ok. Also, be sure to skive the edges before you turn them if they are a little thick. Not skiving could make a little bump or ridge down the length of your liner. If you want to get real fancy, you could even pad the collar. Just my thoughts.

Finally, this is most important, take pictures and show us what you made hehe. Hope it works well for you. 

Good advice.  If you can't skive, and you want to avoid the caved in appearance, you can always add a filler between the ends of your rolled edges so that your piece has a consistent thickness.  We use craft foam in the middle of ours to give a little padding.  The dog doesn't care, but the owner does.

I would beg to differ from my neighbor to the North and laminate the goat and cow together and then trim to get a perfect edge which can be edged and finished with dye and waxed. A dog collar is going to get some heavy use and I would worry about the glue delaminating at the centers. I have made a number of lined dog collars for a breeder and trainer and they really took a beating, especially playing fetchit at the river (in NC ot Tucson).

Might work for a ladies belt but I would go with a simpler, tougher solution.

Bob

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Your glue should work, but I would definitely test it on scrap first.  Follow the instructions to the letter and see if it works.  Chances are, it will.

Perfect! Thanks :D 

1 hour ago, Stetson912 said:

Haha pictures will come - promise! 

45 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Good advice.  If you can't skive, and you want to avoid the caved in appearance, you can always add a filler between the ends of your rolled edges so that your piece has a consistent thickness.  We use craft foam in the middle of ours to give a little padding.  The dog doesn't care, but the owner does.

Hmm I don't have anything to use for liner at the moment. 

31 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

I would beg to differ from my neighbor to the North and laminate the goat and cow together and then trim to get a perfect edge which can be edged and finished with dye and waxed. A dog collar is going to get some heavy use and I would worry about the glue delaminating at the centers. I have made a number of lined dog collars for a breeder and trainer and they really took a beating, especially playing fetchit at the river (in NC ot Tucson).

Might work for a ladies belt but I would go with a simpler, tougher solution.

Bob

You mean to dropp the rolled edges? But I love them! :o  

32 minutes ago, Raksha said:

Perfect! Thanks :D 

Haha pictures will come - promise! 

Hmm I don't have anything to use for liner at the moment. 

You mean to dropp the rolled edges? But I love them! :o  

Well I sell all my items so a balance of durability, aesthetics and cost (man hours) are critical. If it's a hobby for you, then go to town. I had a boss once who gave me some really good advice: "never love anything that can't love you back."

2 hours ago, BDAZ said:

Well I sell all my items so a balance of durability, aesthetics and cost (man hours) are critical. If it's a hobby for you, then go to town. I had a boss once who gave me some really good advice: "never love anything that can't love you back."

Probably good advice, yes. So far my collars are only for my own dogs, or gift, for practice. :) 

Edited by Raksha

The quick stick and stitch is tried and true. It all comes down to the end goal. If it is for utility you want it to be strong. If your dogs are like mine and just loaf around the house licking their bums all day then, well I don't think it matters if it's built like a tank. There are many ways to do it, comes down to how you want it done. 

And bdaz gives sound advice too. And true, we ain't got no rivers in Tucson (running ones anyhow hehe) even when they do run probably just a creek compared to NC .HAHA!

:lol: I have saluki and basenji, 25kg and 12 kg. And the biggest is well behaved on leash. And swimming? Over their dead bodies :lol: but needs to hold if we see  a deer or something. 

10 minutes ago, Raksha said:

:lol: I have saluki and basenji, 25kg and 12 kg. And the biggest is well behaved on leash. And swimming? Over their dead bodies :lol: but needs to hold if we see  a deer or something. 

I thought you would have an Elkhund or Buhund. I have been watching a number of Norwegian TV series and always keep an eye out for local dog breeds. I used to own a German Spitz and my last girlfriend has 6 border collies. I gave up on leather for the collies and went with BioThane® Coated Webbing. 

Bob

Oh no. You would have to pay me to have one of those noisy barking machines :lol: have elghund, both grey and black, as neigbours. Cute dogs, but not my cup of tea. 

My inlaws had samojed when I moved inn. Also cutest when you could not hera him. 

8 hours ago, Raksha said:

Oh no. You would have to pay me to have one of those noisy barking machines :lol: have elghund, both grey and black, as neigbours. Cute dogs, but not my cup of tea. 

My inlaws had samojed when I moved inn. Also cutest when you could not hera him. 

It's all about training. So that's why you have the basenji!

2 hours ago, BDAZ said:

It's all about training. So that's why you have the basenji!

Absolut no vraking:D be can produce å singel "waff " if he works hard. But he jodels. 

But yeah, training is key, I've had everything from giant schnauzer to Brussel griffon and still not much barking :)