Another bag for our historical society clients.  The only rule is no metal and no colors that didn't exist back then.  There were actually a wide variety of pigments available, but you can't go wrong with plain.  There is a lot of leeway and artistic license in a product "that could have been used," in ancient times.  So we looked at shapes depicted on pottery to come up with this design.

36338204_10214950028957273_8163374937130663936_o.jpg

36276428_10214950031957348_2636523746902409216_o.jpg

36363309_10214950030877321_4383885557252489216_o.jpg

36404835_10214950029557288_7124111401185968128_o.jpg

Another great looking project Mike!  I really like the border stamp - what kind is it and where did you get it?

Gary

Gary, thanks!  Its a wave stamp from Bob Beard.

I like the texture on the leather.  Also, how does that closure work?  Seems like everything would be too stiff to pull the "tongue" out of the loop?  or maybe the loop pulls out to allow the tongue to be freed?  Well made, regardless!

YinTx

Very cool.

Nice shape and design,the stamping border goes really well with the overall look of the bag as well. I want one of those stamps :lol:

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

I like the texture on the leather.  Also, how does that closure work?  Seems like everything would be too stiff to pull the "tongue" out of the loop?  or maybe the loop pulls out to allow the tongue to be freed?  Well made, regardless!

YinTx

Thanks, everyone.  Yin, the closure tab is not stitched to the front all the way, only the top third or so, allowing it to move freely.  I just thought the stitches looked odd only at the top.

6 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Yin, the closure tab is not stitched to the front all the way,

I can see it now.  Looks great the way you did it.

YinTx

Wonderful piece. Like YinTx I was wondering how it would be opened. Brilliant thought on continuing the stitching. It would not have looked nearly as balanced if you had. I would have never thought of doing that . It's kind of you experienced folks to share so freely. I for one do appreciate it. 

How much time did the stitching take? If you don't mind. 

And you claim you are not an artist... this is beautiful! 

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

I can see it now.  Looks great the way you did it.

YinTx

It's one of those things that most people wouldn't even notice.  Good catch.

2 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Wonderful piece. Like YinTx I was wondering how it would be opened. Brilliant thought on continuing the stitching. It would not have looked nearly as balanced if you had. I would have never thought of doing that . It's kind of you experienced folks to share so freely. I for one do appreciate it. 

How much time did the stitching take? If you don't mind. 

To be honest, I noticed at the last minute that it wasn't going to work fully stitched, but I had already punched the holes.  So yes, it was me GAINING experience.  Stitching of the whole bag maybe took me 45 minutes to an hour.

1 hour ago, Raksha said:

And you claim you are not an artist... this is beautiful! 

There can be things that are done artfully without being art.  I am just good at making things look nice :P

32 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

There can be things that are done artfully without being art.  I am just good at making things look nice :P

Nope!  I do not buy that! :lol:   

Nice looking bag Mike.