Sign in to follow this  
DJole

Garment Leather inlay question

I'm working on an idea for a wallet. I'm thinking about using a nice piece of soft green garment leather for the outside, with a cutout "window" showing a white background (a nice piece of white garment leather). Both the green and the white background will be stitched to a thicker piece of tooling leather. 
I'm thinking about the best way to stitch it, after gluing it down, considering the following diagram:

image.png.272523d21afd20f6a7a8405af1f38206.png

(A) represents the normal saddle stitch, close to the edge. The edge of the green is not underneath the thread. 
(B) represents the other possibility, where the stitch passes over the edge of the green, locking it down and precluding the possibility of the edge being pulled up as the wallet goes in and out of the pocket over years of use.
Is this something anybody here has experience with?
There are two other possibilities:

1) Forget the inlay idea, and just tool the design into the leather.
2) Keep the inlay idea, but cut it into the tooling leather instead, dye it green, and then stitch the white background behind the tooling leather.

What do you folks think?

Edited by DJole
missing text

No experience with this sort of thing, but why not do an X stitch, a baseball stitch, or some other decorative between white and green in a third ( or more) contrasting color?   Make it part of the visual design.

- Bill

Not done a wallet but I did a sword grip cover. The owner had a piece of (real) gold covered leather he wanted incorporated. It was a simple rectangle. I used the whip stitch (your B ) and it did the job well.

I glued the edge of the outer part onto the edge of the gold piece thus the stitching was to do what you want - to stop the cut-out edge from lifting.  I did the stitches at about 2.5 or 3mm apart, about 3mm in and just over the edge because there was about 3 or 4mm of the gold under the cut-out edge. BTW I skived the edges too, and lightly tapped them down with a rubber headed mallet after it was done