TeachingTinyTots

Non Flammable Glue

Hi,

I'm new to leather making and for my first project I want to make pot handle holders for my cast iron pans.  I was wondering what glue would be safe to use to hold the leather in place.  I read people use rubber cement but I'm afraid of that being an issue when using on a hot piece of iron.  Are there any other recommendations that would be safe to use?

Rubber cement is temporary - it won't stay.

Contact cement likely work, but not sure how flammable it is after it's dry.  RENIA makes a water based product that should be fine, though I've never personally used it on cast iron :dunno:

For that application, I might try SUPERGLUE or GORILLA GLUE.  If at some point you want to remove them, easy enough to cut the leather off and wire brush the cast iron.

Is your thought to glue the leather onto the pan?  I thought that the handle covers were removable so you can put the cast iron pan into the oven after the initial sear on the range. 

You'll need an insulation layer between the leather and the metal handle. Something like wood. The constant regular heating of the leather will lead it to dry out, shrink and crack

I made a slip on handle cover for my cast iron out of suede.  No glue, just stitched it, happened to use linen thread.  Seems to work fine, but I don't leave it on there, just slip it on to move it around, then slip it off again.

YinTx

I have a couple leather ones I bought and over time it did shrink...(see photo below) It was not lined but pretty thick and sewn.  I bought some printed leather and wanted to make a few myself.  It is thinner leather so I plan to hand sew it and was looking for something to hold it in place while I sewed it together. That's where I read about rubber cement but was concerned about the heat element.  I typically leave the pot hold on my cast iron, because I often move or hold my pan as I cook...but make sure the top of it doesn't touch the main part of the skillet. 

skillet-pot-holder.jpg

I do not believe there are many glue's that will stand up to the heat from a hot cast iron pan, because heat is usually used as a release for adhesives.

In Australia, we have Selleys window and glass silicone which is used for stove oven door glass windows. This silicone is rated to 915 degrees C.

I imagine there would be similar brands with identical silicone adhesives in the USA. Maybe Dow or Sika, (other big name brands we have here that you might have).

From a kitchen hygiene perspective, anything that can't be thrown through the wash has a possibility of becoming the breeding ground for bacteria, so I would be very hesitant to permanently mount leather onto a cast iron pan. I would instead recommend a quilted slip-on or one of the silicone ones.

We used to have a really big knife in our camp kitchen that had a bad habit of not getting washed properly before being stuffed back into the scabbard, and when I cut the old scabbard apart to make a template for the replacement, I discovered a layer of mold inside. Ever since then I've been extra-paranoid about washing anything I can't see into.