spwhite

Contrasting color thread

I got a question when hand stitching with a contrasting color thread (i.e. red thread in black eyed leather). How do you keep the thread from picking up the black dye and making the thread look dirty.

Thanks

I have heard some people use thread that is a lot longer than their job requires. Any dye is collected on the first few inches of thread, so the only thread that actually gets dirty is the piece that is left over after the job is fully sewn.

I am still trying to get it sorted in my work.

Not sure if it is as easy as just letting the dye dry completely or the type of dye making the difference but I do not have issues using crème aka off white thread in black, brown, cordovan etc dyed leather.  I use oil dye at full strength and it does not seem to matter if I dip dye long enough to soak the dye into the entire thickness of leather,  just brushing on and everything in between.

This example is cordovan dyed elephant on top of 3 layers of black dyed, by me not drum dyed at the tannery, veg tan. The color of this thread is called crème.

Vx5zEa3.jpg

Allow dye to dry before buffing then apply resolene 50/50 with water via airbrush. Allow to dry completely. Wash your hands thoroughly before sewing.

Thanks for the replies will try the resolene. I don't have an airbrush yet. That is on my list I will try with a brush on a scrap piece