Benny

Dye problems looking for advice?

Hey guys, new to the forum, so a big hello from the UK. 

I've used the search engine and nothings came up, so apologies if this has been covered endlessly. 

Ive only used oil dye to late and I love it but how can I  (if possible ) stop it running onto other items mainly clothes and my dog, lol.. I've done some belts and dog collars for my dogs but I've got a white dog and I don't want it to run into hes coat. I know I could just buy dyed through leather but  wheres the fun in that. One of my first projects was a belt and it's kinda staining my clothes slowly as it's coming of onto my jeans. 

What processes do you guys employ to stop the dye running? 

Kind regards 

Edited by Benny

I use a slow speed buffer to buff out the loose dyestuff on the darker colors.. black, navy, etc.

Then, I rub in a coat of Leather Balm with Atom Wax. Buff

Then, I seal

with several coats of 50/50 Resolene. Water to dilute.
Let dry thoroughly between coats and buff with a piece of lambs wool between.

I have never been able to 100% stop bleed in every case, but most of the time, it does the trick.

The idea is to let the dye dry thoroughly, then buff with a soft cloth, or buffer, until the cloth comes away clean. Then put whatever conditioner you want on it, if you use conditioner, like TomG said, Leather Balm/Atom wax is good. Buff again making sure cloth comes away clean again, then seal. I also use Resolene/water 50/50, multiple THIN coats, drying between, then buff again. If Resolene is applied too thick, it can crack when flexed. I airbrush it on, but not everyone has an airbrush. 

Jeff

1. dampen you leather

2. dilute your dye 1:1 or even 1d:2w

1 & 2 together will get the dye going deeper into the leather

3. apply diluted dye; many coats might be needed until good colour density is obtained

4. allow to dry out for at least 24 hours after last coat

5. buff with a clean cloth, buff again and again until no colour is seen on the cloth

6. apply a finish sealer like resolene; thin it like the dye and apply several coats, front and back.

7. allow to dry for at least 24 hours

8. apply a beeswax/neetsfoot oil type mix, or something similar

9. allow it to rest for 24 hours then buff it up

Edited by fredk

On 9/17/2018 at 7:09 AM, Benny said:

Hey guys, new to the forum, so a big hello from the UK. 

I've used the search engine and nothings came up, so apologies if this has been covered endlessly. 

Ive only used oil dye to late and I love it but how can I  (if possible ) stop it running onto other items mainly clothes and my dog, lol.. I've done some belts and dog collars for my dogs but I've got a white dog and I don't want it to run into hes coat. I know I could just buy dyed through leather but  wheres the fun in that. One of my first projects was a belt and it's kinda staining my clothes slowly as it's coming of onto my jeans. 

What processes do you guys employ to stop the dye running? 

Kind regards 

As most have said, apply dye, let dry completely, buff heavily, and then seal.  It does help a bit to dampen your leather as well. When doing belts or collars I always leave the back side the natural color (that is if you are working with veg-tan) as it will darken by itself over time and when dealing with animals I don't want anything to be at risk of causing an allergic reaction on them.  Another thing that I have done for many years is to apply my first dye application and let it dry, buff it, apply a second (to make sure that I get good, deep color) and let it dry, then buff.  From here just move on to my standard finishing and done.