Ski

Adler 69 Marking Leather.

Hello,

My Adler 69-72 is marking my leather.  Not so much from the top side, but from the bottom where the presser foot pushed the leather into throat plate.  Is there any way to raise the bottom feed dog so its flush with the throat plate?

I've unscrewed the inner and outer spring tension screws as far as they will go.  I have a spare spring on order to experiment with (cutting it down) but that may be weeks away.

The bottom feed dog seems to be 2mm below the throat plate, I think this may be my issue and I'm not sure how to solve it, other than grinding 2 mm from the throat plate.  I've also noticed the upper feed dog holder has vertical play, around 1mm.  In theory, I could put some cushioning under it which will raise the bottom feed dog to the correct level but I'm unsure if its wise and Im positive there is another way that I cannot see.

The 69-72's bottom feed dog only moved horizontally, and maybe only lifts 0.2 mm during a stitch.  I believe this is by design on these models.

Please see picture attached, showing on the far left; how far down the bottom feed dog is, and centre; the feed dog holder.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20181018_103923.jpg

Hello Mark,

Is the feeddog straight?  Maybe someone has bent it a bit, which seems a bit strange,  because all of these items are hardened. 

Look on the Adler site how they should be.

Succes,

Bert.

Hi Bert.  Yes it looks straight to the eye.  I will double check with a straight edge.

Looks straight.

IMG_20181018_123843.jpg

Hi There, Is it the correct plate and feed dog combination?? I don´t have a Adler 69 but a Pfaff 335 and the feed dog is level with the needle plate.??

Hi Jimi. 

I bought the machine a week ago so its possible previous owner put the wrong combination on.   I will look into finding the correct one to replace it with.

Maybe try gluing a piece of leather on the feed dog to raise it level and see what happens??

If you've got the clearance then try shimming under where the foot attaches to the main bar (under the two screws). As long as it doesn't scrape on anything it should be fine. It's the same attachment method as the Pfaff 335 and there's no vertical adjustment.

12 hours ago, Ski said:

The bottom feed dog seems to be 2mm below the throat plate, I think this may be my issue and I'm not sure how to solve it, other than grinding 2 mm from the throat plate. 

Maybe a standard throat plate and a feed dog for binding or other purposes and the two are mismatched. The feed dog might be the correct height for a throat plate that is machined to be thinner profile.

Kwok Hing KH69R regular size plate/dog set is about $35, and they ship quick. Only grinding you might have to do is to smooth the teeth a bit.

Hi Mark,

Have you checked the Adler site. They have also a parts manual.

Yours,

Bert

Thank you all for your input, Ive taken everything on board.  Ive raised the feed dog with a shimmy and ordered a KH69R replacement set.