SeraphicArcher

Alternatives to cardboard

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had experimented with other items for adhering leather to while tooling. I have a terrible time trying to remove the cardboard from the back of un-faced leather after tooling. I was thinking some of that white plastic sometimes used as cutting boards, or maybe a thin string grained plywood might work. Any ideas or suggestion appreciated. 

Ps. Cardboard attracts roaches, which are prolific where I live.

I use blue painter's tape, and a roller to firmly affix it. It minimizes the stretch of the leather, and comes off cleaner than anything else I've tried. Some use clear packing tape, but that pulls up quite a bit of fuzz when removed. The blue painter's tape may seem easy to tear, but generally doesn't stretch. Give it a try.

I use reinforced scotch tape. The price in Ukraine is $ 1.8 per roll 50 mm wide and 25 meters long (2 "x 80 feet).
Works great. The separation also does not pose a problem - the main thing is to wait for the leather to dry completely and, separating the adhesive tape, pull NOT up, but “back”, that is, in the direction of the remaining glued part.

Ско�� а�ми�ованн�й, �ве� �е��й

Edited by ABHandmade

Contact paper works great. Holds the work and keeps it from distorting but doesn't stick enough to pull up the flesh side