Rbarleatherworks

Toque Tags

Hi all

Just wondering if I could get some feedback on what would be the best way to make these tags on the bottom right corner of the Toque (see Pic attached).

Thanks so much,5bf9ae653f909_CrescentMoon(2).png.8501a82891c8feea562b8a14453d3de5.png

Regan

How many are you making?

6 minutes ago, rodneywt1180b said:

How many are you making?

Not sure at this time.  Just a local gal makes the toques and is looking for someone to make them.

I'm assuming the one in the picture is an example and not one of her toques.  Looks to me like they're using thin splits for the tags.  It also looks like the tag is doubled over the edge of the toque and sewn once at the top.  I think I would look at a custom ink stamp with her logo and stamp them that way (relatively cheap, not as permanent).  Maybe have her buy the stamp, she can use it for other things too.  Other more permanent ways might be to use an embroidery machine if you have one or a custom brand. You could also use thin veg tan and stamp the letters/logo into it.

I wonder if leather can be fed through a printer?  That would make short work of it.

1 hour ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I'm assuming the one in the picture is an example and not one of her toques.  Looks to me like they're using thin splits for the tags.  It also looks like the tag is doubled over the edge of the toque and sewn once at the top.  I think I would look at a custom ink stamp with her logo and stamp them that way (relatively cheap, not as permanent).  Maybe have her buy the stamp, she can use it for other things too.  Other more permanent ways might be to use an embroidery machine if you have one or a custom brand. You could also use thin veg tan and stamp the letters/logo into it.

I wonder if leather can be fed through a printer?  That would make short work of it.

Yes that is just an example of what she is looking to have made. 

I had thought of a thin veg tan but wondered how well that would hold up to washing of the toque.  So wasn't sure of what else to use.  Maybe cloth and embroidery might be a better option for her.

Then I guess there is pyrography but I have no experience with that.... yet :-)

I'm hoping someone with more experience will chime in on this.  I know someone here has done this sort of work before.

If the item were not going to be washed/cleaned then I would suggest that the leather be of a thin suede variety and, if the maker of these things is going to be doing a large number of them, get a stamp made that can be used with a branding iron/heat transfer mechanism.  The branding will last much longer than any of the other methods of marking but being made of leather it should not be subjected to water as it will stiffen, crack, and eventually fail (just like the leather tags that you find on the waist of your jeans).

What do Levis jeans use for their patch, I would guess printed or hot stamped chrome leather

ps i have not worn jeans for many many years so maybe they have changed and no longer have the leather patch

Yours respectfully

silly old git

17 hours ago, chrisash said:

What do Levis jeans use for their patch, I would guess printed or hot stamped chrome leather

ps i have not worn jeans for many many years so maybe they have changed and no longer have the leather patch

Yours respectfully

silly old git

They used to use leather but that was way back.  Now they are just another artificial material that is semi-durable (up to about 25 washes) that are ink stamped and they do eventually fade away and pull away from the jeans.  The leather that Levi's used to use was a heavily oiled/waxed (almost hot stuffed) leather and it would hold up for quite some time before it eventually started to show signs of age but nobody does anything of quality anymore; hell, they don't even make them here in the U.S. at all anymore.