katit

Sewing machine refinish

I did search. But didn't come up with any exact/solid info. Question is: What is good match for consew gray hammered finish? (or Seiko)?

The only paint I found is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beige-hammer-tone-paint-can-for-Juki-Pfaff/202530350416?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

But I'm sceptical about spray cans. Will it hold? What primer would you use?

So, let's pretend machine is stripped to bare metal. What materials would be used for max protection/durability? Doesn't have to be spray cans. Is automotive paint strong enough? Or something else need to be used for this application? Clear coat?

The thing about the best stuff is pro products are in larger amounts. So if you can be aquainted with them, its the shortcut. Especially having them in their shop doing a small project within their other big projects. 

But anyway here is a great info link thats spot on. 

Good day

Floyd 

Ffloyd,

primer is OK, I personally like epoxy. But what about paint? Something that matches factory? What did they use? I guess it’s urethane without clear coat. How do you achieve this “hammered” finish?

Sherwin-Williams has a paint called "Dimenso" that works nicely and gives a "hammer" finish.   You may need to get your local Sherwin-Williams store to order it for you after you convince the clerk that it exists !!   They mostly deal in interior and exterior house paint in their retail stores.   It works very well, and as I recall does not require a primer, you just need to be sure the surface is really CLEAN, and wipe it down with an evaporating solvent like lacquer thinner before painting.  Dimenso does not require thinning, and  is to be sprayed right out of the can, assuming you have access to a spray gun and air compressor.   

There are some good previous posts covering all sorts of painting.  At google type in what you’re looking for, a space, then “site:leatherworker.net” and it will do a very good job of searching here.

The spray paints have come a long way and can be very durable. Many that claim to have a built in primer are more of an industrial urethane mixture that simply sticks pretty good without  separate primer.  I’d always use a separate primer.

There are a few additives that can create a hammered finish from normal automotive paint - one is silicone dust - essentially making fisheyes all over the surface.  The premade hammered finishes have multiple pigmented components that don’t blend, but but better help to create the illusion the finish is more hammered than it really is.  I haven’t read anywhere how to replicate that.

Edited by DonInReno

Now that I think about it.. I just want working nice looking machine with durable finish. Not exact restoration. I need machine and table repainted/refinished. 

I have about quart of black and yellow John Deere paint with hardener. Those are tough paints and just sitting in my basement. Maybe paint all black and just some cover's/pedals/reverse with yellow. Will be cheap (free)  and it will work..

All I need is to take it all apart, take parts to local sand blast place, pay $50-60 and then respray everything. Will not be labor-intensive and result should be good. No mess with sanding/grinding at home. Oh yes, I may need to spend $40 for DTM epoxy primer.