JJN

I found a Ferdco/Juki Pro-2000 but I need some parts

It took some persistence and an 800+ mile round trip but I scored a beautiful machine yesterday. The full story is a long one and I won't go into it here except to say this machine was listed online for 2 years. Figuring it was already gone I tried to make contact and it paid off. I am very excited to get this machine stitching again. I think I got an incredible deal at $900 plus a Pfaff 138 that I had to throw in. I had less than $200 in the Pfaff.

The machine appears to be in pretty good shape, but is missing all the needle plates, feed dogs and feet except for the ones mounted on the machine. It turns smoothly. It has a clutch motor with a cast aluminum pulley type of speed reducer. For some reason, a previous owner removed the main tension assembly. What are people thinking! Anyway I have some questions that maybe some of the members here can help me with. I also need to find missing parts so maybe the machine dealers can advise me about that.

1. What do you recommend for a replacement tension assembly. I have a Juki parts list and the diagram looks different from what I see here. Should I buy genuine Juki parts or clone parts?
  2. I read somewhere on this forum that the clone needle plates are a different size from genuine Juki. Can someone confirm that?
  3. I want to buy both a blanket feed dog and a smooth feed dog with appropriate throat plate.
  4. I also want to get the holster and stirrup needle plates.
  5. I also read that the Cobra and Cowboy feet are a different height than the Juki 441 feet. Can I adjust for that?
  6. The plate that extends over the cylinder next to the needle plate does not look like others I have seen. Is this a homemade part?
  7. The lube pot is different than the ones I normally see. Does anyone know what the 2 fittings sticking out of the lube pot are for?

Any observations or comments or recommendations you may have will be greatly appreciated. I plan to start making holsters, sheaths and bags.

juki2000-01.jpg

juki2000-02.jpg

juki2000-03.jpg

juki2000-04.jpg

juki2000-05.jpg

juki2000-06.jpg

juki2000-07.jpg

juki2000-08.jpg

juki2000-09.jpg

juki2000-10.jpg

I can't help with any of your questions (sorry) but it looks to be in very good shape. Nice buy! As for the missing parts, I've noticed that people do strange things sometimes.:blink:

Genuine   contact MJ Foley in Detroit.  largest Juki dealer in America.

Generic   Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing or Steve at Cobra in California.

The two fittings on the exterior of the lube pot seem to be adjustable to accommodate different thread sizes. I figure they could be tightened in around the thread to provide a more even amount of lube on the thread and help kept excess lube from dripping over the machine. One fitting for lubing the bobbin thread since it is directly above the bobbin thread guide and the other fitting facing the top tension discs for the top thread.

Just my thought,

kgg

As KGG wrote above the fittings on the wax pot are strippers to remove excess thread lube. 

The plate to the right of the needle plate is the base for the roller guide. I've got one and can't remember if I bought it from Ferdco or later from Weaver. Somewhere in a place probably far, far away is a block that fits that slot and two arms - one with a single roller for curved pieces and one with two rollers for straight line stitching. 

The dealers can chime in here, but yours is built on the Juki frame not a clone. I'd think the plates will fit. Any parts like the tension disc assembly that go on the Juki should go on this. When I bought mine I got the clone version and with sage advice from Art Van Hecke I bought every plate and foot they made at time with it. I bought feet they came out with later also. The sole stitching foot was a particularly good one I used a bunch. I had a couple of the Juki frame ones through here at different times too and I don;t remember anything not interchanging. Hoffman Brothers bought out Ferdco and might have some of the feet and plates. 

I found all the Juki parts I need at MJ Foley. Now looking for quality feet and needle plates. Some of needle plates I found on various websites looked kind of crude. Are there any suggestions for nicely made needle plates? Also, how so the after market bobbins compare to genuine Juki?

Edited by JJN
typo

Beiler's in Pennsylvania  make a flat plate that you can still use the feed dog with.  Similar to what Weavers makes for the 205.  I suggest you get vs. the curved plate.  Easier to stitch things on.

glenn

Thanks @shoepatcher, I called and they are sending out a catalog.