whitetail

31-15 machine problem

my 31-15 will pick up the bobbin thread after loading the bobbin. When I start to sew it will not pick up the bobbin thread. I'm using 69 thread and size 18 needle. Can someone tell me what to check.

@whitetail Moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines.  You will get more response here.

Are you holding onto both threads when you start a line of stitching?

Tom

Singer 31-15:  Check to make sure that your needle is oriented with the long groove to the left of the operator toward the face plate of the machine, and that it is threaded from left to right through the needle eye.

CD in Oklahoma

Is this a new machine to you or a recent problem?

I would unthread everything both top thread and bobbin. Check that the needle is installed correctly with the scarf in the right direction and fully seated. Reinstall top thread checking thread removal from the spool, tension / paths from the spool to eye of the needle. The needle must have the long groove on the left and threaded from left to right. Then thread a different fresh bobbin checking for correct thread tension and correct direction of how the thread is being removed from the bobbin in the bobbin holder. Then I would hand wheel it through a dozen cycles with fabric under the foot while holding both threads for the first couple of stitches.

kgg

OK, got it working good. Thanks all. I'm new to machines so I need some help. Can the 31-15 sew holsters and if so what size thread and needle do I use. Thanks

4 minutes ago, whitetail said:

OK, got it working good. Thanks all. I'm new to machines so I need some help. Can the 31-15 sew holsters and if so what size thread and needle do I use. Thanks

NO! The 31-15 is a bottom feed only tailoring machine for soft cloth and very thin and soft leather. It is best limited to #69 bonded thread, or possibly #92, depending on the installed throat plate, hook and shuttle driver. Your largest needle would be a #18 (or #19 for #92 thread). My 31-15 is from the early 1920s and can't handle any thread larger than #69, using no more than a #18 needle.

Serious holsters need to be sewn with thread sizes #277 or #346, which are magnitudes beyond a tailoring machine. This is an entry level holster sewing machine. It sews up to 1/2 inch of veg-tan leather with #346 thread. This is what I use to sew holsters that sometimes reach or exceed 3/4" along the side.